Estimated Reading Time: <1
Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Most Reverend Matthew Kukah, on Friday, said those agitating for a breakaway Biafra Republic from Nigeria have the right to do so and should not be crucified for it.
He contended that since each individual had inalienable right to pursue his or her goal in life, the ongoing agitation for the Republic of Biafra by Movement for the Actualisation of the Sovereign State of Biafra (MASSOB) was legitimate.
Speaking on the topic: “The Pursuit of Happiness: Some Thoughts On Human Rights, Freedom And Justice In Nigeria,” at the 41st Convocation Lecture of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife, Osun State, the cleric advised President Mohammadu Buhari to broker peace with the director of Radio Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, in order to ensure peace.
Kukah noted that the arrest of Kanu by security operatives compelled multitude of people across the globe to embark on protests for his release, stressing that neither President Buhari nor any governor in Nigeria could command the large number of people that Kanu brought out.
According to him, “this country cannot continue this way. MASSOB has the right to seek Biafra since we have freedom of expression. The problem of Nigeria should not be with Kanu, but should be with those who left the door opened. The president of Nigeria or any governor, unless he pays, cannot bring out the number of people that Kanu brought out.
Kukah said: “This country cannot continue this way. MASSOB has right to demand Biafra since we have freedom of expression. The problem of Nigeria should not be with Kanu but should be with who let the door open.
“The anxiety of Nigeria should be that a young man who can bring out such great number of people is worth doing business with.”
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence