Estimated Reading Time: <1
In a bid to recover a debt of N924,788,754.56, a Federal high court sitting in Lagos, southwest Nigeria has ordered that all accounts belonging to former captain of the Super Eagles, Nwankwo Kanu and his company, The Hardley Apartments anywhere and in any bank or financial institution in Nigeria should be frozen pending the hearing of suit file against them.
Also affected by the other of the court is a Director of Hardley Apartment, Ayoola Gam-Ikon.
PM News reports that the order of the court was as a result of a debt recovery suit filed by Asset Management Corporation Of Nigeria (AMCON) against the defendants.
In an affidavit sworn to by a Credit officer in the Directorate of AMCON Mr Victor Igabor, filed and argued by Barrister Niyi Olopade, the deponent averred that sometime between May, 2008 and January 10,2011 Skye bank offered The Hardley Apartments engaged in business of Hospitality located at Plot 46 Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Victoria island, Lagos a loan of N520,457,000.
The loan was secured by a mortgage on the company’s three blocks of 40 accommodation units estimated in open market value of N395million as well as unconditional personal, joint and several guarantee of Ayoola Gam-Ikon and Nwankwo Kanu.
The defendants failed to repay the loan with the accrued interest despite repeated demands, consequent upon which Skye bank Plc assigned the defendants indebtedness in the sum of N558,313,905.37 as at 1st April, 2011 to the AMCON as a toxic bank asset in line with the establishment objective of the said AMCON.
Mr Igabor averred further that, this development was communicated to the defendants by Skye bank who admitted their indebtedness but praying that the assignment to AMCON be revoked.
The defendants’ indebtedness as at the 15th October 2015 stood at N924,788,754.56 representing principal and interest while interest is still running.
Consequently, Igabor contended that The Hardley Apartments is in imminent of being dissipated, therefore if the application is not granted, Ayoola Gam-Ikon and Nawankwo Kanu could dissipate the assets of the company therefore urged the court to issue interim order of possessing of all movable and immovable properties known as Plot 46 Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Victoria Island.
An order attaching the debt due from Hardley Apartments as well as debts accurring from the defendants jointly and severally and freezing all accounts belonging to the defendants jointly and severally in any bank or financial institution in Nigeria.
The presiding judge, Okon Abang while acceding to the request of AMCON, ordered that, AMCON shall in the interim possess all the movable and immovable properties known as Plot 46 Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Victoria Island, Lagos.
That in the interim the debt due or accruing from the Hardley Apartments as well as the debts accruing from the defendants jointly and severally and freezing all accounts belonging to the defendants jointly and severally anywhere and in any bank and any financial institution in Nigeria are hereby attached pending the hearing of this suit.
The matter has been adjourned for hearing.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists