Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigeria’s Senate has confirmed the appointment of Professor Mahmood Yakubu as the national Chairman , Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC.
The Senate also confirmed the appointment of National Commissioners ,namely: Amina Zakari (Jigawa), Dr Anthonia Okoosi(Kogi) Dr Mohammed Mustapha(Edo),Baba Arfo (Borno) and Soyebi Solomon(Ogun)
President Muhammadu Buhari nominated the new INEC chairman as well as commissioner last week .The nominees were approved by an emergency meeting of the Council of State meeting also last week, thus preparing the grounds for today’s screening and confirmation by the Senate.
Each of the Senators appeared before the senate and answered questions before they were eventually asked to take a bow and go.
Professor Yakubu, the new INEC chairman hailed the marvelous work done by former Chairman Professor Attahiru Jega.He also said he looks forward to ensuring seamless voting by Nigerian.
The new INEC chair admitted that there are challenges ahead for his team to tackle.He however assured Senators that he cannot be intimidated just as he said he driving by patriotism as a Nigerian.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists