Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has stated that the delisting of Nigeria from polio endemic nations by the World Health Organization (WHO) was made possible by the past PDP-led Federal Government.
PDP in a statement by its National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh on Tuesday said the delisting of the country as polio endemic followed the fact that there has been no single reported case of wild polio virus attack in the country since July last year when the party was still in power.
The party said the feat did not come by chance, but through a concerted fight against the virus by the former President Goodluck Jonathan PDP-led administration, with the support of the Nigerian people and non-governmental agencies.
It noted that at the 2011 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in Australia,? the former president pledged that his administration would end the polio challenge in three years time, “a target which was met in 2014, when the last case was recorded.”
PDP recalled that in 2012, a national health emergency on polio was declared, resulting in the establishment of Presidential Task Force on Polio Eradication (PTFoPE), which effectively coordinated strategic efforts at all levels of health administration, at the national, state and local government levels, through special Emergency Operations Centres (EOCs) across the country.
Nigeria was removed from the list of polio endemic countries in September.
The announcement, made by the World Health Organisation (WHO) at a meeting of the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) in New York last Friday, follows Nigeria going more than a year without a case of wild polio.
However, three years without cases are required before it can be declared polio free.
- Police confirms assassination of district head, APC chairman by bandits
- Breaking: Nigerian Govt reduces petrol pump price to N121.50 per litre
- Breaking: Tribunal rejects party’s request to join petition in Bayelsa governorship dispute
- Salawa Abeni’s 19 year old blackmailer has been arrested
- “Aboki” and the dangers of othering in Nigeria
- FG begins ‘systematic maintenance’ of Lagos bridges & drains
- 9 contractors made the shortlist for Fourth Mainland Bridge – Hamzat
- $18.34 million paid as ransom between June 2011 & March 2020: Inside Nigeria’s lucrative kidnap industry
- Allegations of corruption against the National assembly smacks of cheap blackmail – Sen Ajibola Bashiru
- Telecom firms now to pay N1 per km for Right Of Way (RoW) in Kwara