Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Rivers State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has accused Governor Nyesom Wike of leading a gang-up to sabotage former Governor Rotimi Amaechi’ s chances of being appointed into the cabinet of President Muhammadu Buhari.
A statement issued on Tuesday in Port Harcourt by the state party chairman, Davies Ikanya, said the recent campaign of calumny against Mr. Amaechi was borne out of the desire of some politicians to thwart the chances of the former governor getting an appointment.
“These retrogressive forces led by the state governor, Chief Nyesom Wike, are so afraid of the shadow of Rt. Hon. Rotimi Amaechi that they are willing to go to any length to ensure that he is not accommodated in President Buhari’s cabinet. They have for months mounted a relentless campaign of calumny against the person of Amaechi, thus biting the finger that once fed them. This is not only shameful but also a clear subterfuge against the greater interests of Rivers State,” said the chairman.
The party expressed shock that Mr. Wike reportedly celebrated the non-appointment of Mr. Amaechi as the Secretary to the Government of the Federation by the president, alleging that the governor also planned to sabotage the screening of Mr. Amaechi by the Senate should he be nominated for ministerial position.
“We wish to advise Wike to stop trying to play God. We are confident that he can never constitute a stumbling block to Amaechi if President Buhari wishes to nominate him to render service to his fatherland in any capacity,” the Rivers APC said.
The party equally accused unnamed people of sponsoring stories claiming that Amaechi was shocked by Mr. Buhari’s recent appointments and that he left for London to get himself together. “Funny enough, Amaechi was in Port Harcourt to witness the formal commissioning ceremony of a church,” the party said.
The party also described efforts to tarnish the image of Mr. Amaechi as an exercise in futility, saying nobody will deny the fact that he played a pivotal role in defeating former President Goodluck Jonathan.
The APC chairman therefore urged Mr. Amaechi to be steadfast in his support for the present administration, calling on the party supporters to exercise patience and allow Mr. Buhari to conclude his appointments before passing judgment.
- Breaking: Tribunal rejects party’s request to join petition in Bayelsa governorship dispute
- Salawa Abeni’s 19 year old blackmailer has been arrested
- “Aboki” and the dangers of othering in Nigeria
- FG begins ‘systematic maintenance’ of Lagos bridges & drains
- 9 contractors made the shortlist for Fourth Mainland Bridge – Hamzat
- $18.34 million paid as ransom between June 2011 & March 2020: Inside Nigeria’s lucrative kidnap industry
- Allegations of corruption against the National assembly smacks of cheap blackmail – Sen Ajibola Bashiru
- Telecom firms now to pay N1 per km for Right Of Way (RoW) in Kwara
- Ebonyi to shut down some of its social media groups from June 2
- Breaking: Coronavirus cases in Nigeria exceeds 10,000