Estimated Reading Time: <1
The efforts by the senate to investigate Ibrahim Lamorde, Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, for allegedly diverting N1 trillion recovered from corrupt politicians, are down to EFCC’s recent probe of Toyin Saraki, wife of the senate President, an official of the commission tells TheCable.
The Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions will on Wednesday begin a probe of the Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Ibrahim Lamorde, over an allegation that he fraudulently diverted over N1tn proceeds of corruption recovered by the anti-graft agency.
Part of the money alleged by a petitioner to have been diverted by the EFCC boss included the loot recovered from a former Governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha; and ex-Inspector-General of Police, Tafa Balogun.
The petitioner, Mr. George Uboh, whose complaint to the Senate prompted the probe, has been invited to appear before the Senate committee at Meeting Room 120 of the New Senate Building, National Assembly Complex, Abuja, by 10am on Wednesday.
However, EFCC official on Monday said that the senate “was trying scandalise” the commission because of its investigation of Toyin Saraki, wife of Bukola Saraki, senate President. He also said Lamorde had not received an official invitation from the senate.
“There is nothing like summon or official invitation from the senate” the source tells TheCable.
“What is supposedly petition by the senate is something engineered by the leadership of the senate because we are investigating the wife of the senate President”.
The EFCC is currently investigating Bukola Saraki over and offence of money laundering she allegedly committed while her husband was the governor of Kwara state.
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge
- Bauchi Governor suspends Emir of Misau
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud
- Plateau State Chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Akwa Ibom has not received any financial assistance from FG – Gov Udom Emmanuel
- 24 hours after Ayade’s ‘party’ to celebrate zero COVID-19, UCTH announce 5 positive cases