Estimated Reading Time: <1
Senator Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West Senatorial District in the National Assembly, has defended his decision to accompany the wife of the Senate President, Toyin Saraki, to the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
In a statement and issued on Friday in Abuja, the Senate said he has made sacrifices for the country.
Melaye Friday said. “I went there as a private investigator and an anti-corruption crusader to find out the extent of culpability of my sister and friend since she was not told the content of the petition against her before her appearance before the EFCC”
The statement titled “Stand Up For What You Believe In” said, ”I was arrested 14 times in one year by the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan because I desire a country where my grandchildren (that I may never know) will dwell in and where life is already structured for them. I cannot throw away the sacrifice – when I was beaten and my clothes torn to shred on the floor of the House of Representatives because of my fight against corruption.
“I have come too far to compromise my stand on corruption and corrupt persons. I make bold here to challenge anybody who will controvert the truth that I have never done any government contract, either at the local government, state or federal levels. It is not criminal to do so, but he who must come to equity must come with clean hands. I have made sacrifices to the extent of escaping assignations. Will my fellow citizens forget all these too quickly on the altar of loyalty to friends, family and loved ones?
“My loyalty to friends is not only when the going is good. I will be there even when the roads are rough. The invitation of Mrs. Toyin Saraki by the EFCC, however, is not a criminal indictment. I will not abandon my friend because of mere EFCC invitation.
“My definition for friendship is he or she who walks in when others are working out. If my father is invited by the EFCC, I will go there, if a prima face case is established against him, I will shout for his prosecution. So my great people, I have no regret following my friend and sister to the EFCC. If you are my friend, you are my friend. I cannot control what my friends will do, but they remain my friends. I am not fighting corruption out of passion only, but because it is the Godly thing to do.”
- Governor Wike signs executive order proscribing IPOB in Rivers
- Fact Check: Reno Omokri’s claim on Nigeria’s foreign debt is false
- How the CDD Election Analysis Center work to foster democracy in Nigeria
- #EndSARS: Bayelsa Government Inaugurates Judicial Panel Of Inquiry
- Court rejects EFCC’s request for an arrest warrant for Diezani
- Prisoners who escaped from Edo prison rearrested for robbery and attempted murder
- Adamawa State: Police recovers 35 tractors from looted items, arrest over 200 suspects
- Government begins payment of N30,000 grants to 333,000 artisans
- Federal Government approves N2.9 billion for printing of National Examinations’ materials
- Borno Governor approves scholarship for orphans of Civilian JTF killed since 2013