Estimated Reading Time: <1
Senator Dino Melaye, representing Kogi West Senatorial District in the National Assembly, has defended his decision to accompany the wife of the Senate President, Toyin Saraki, to the headquarters of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
In a statement and issued on Friday in Abuja, the Senate said he has made sacrifices for the country.
Melaye Friday said. “I went there as a private investigator and an anti-corruption crusader to find out the extent of culpability of my sister and friend since she was not told the content of the petition against her before her appearance before the EFCC”
The statement titled “Stand Up For What You Believe In” said, ”I was arrested 14 times in one year by the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan because I desire a country where my grandchildren (that I may never know) will dwell in and where life is already structured for them. I cannot throw away the sacrifice – when I was beaten and my clothes torn to shred on the floor of the House of Representatives because of my fight against corruption.
“I have come too far to compromise my stand on corruption and corrupt persons. I make bold here to challenge anybody who will controvert the truth that I have never done any government contract, either at the local government, state or federal levels. It is not criminal to do so, but he who must come to equity must come with clean hands. I have made sacrifices to the extent of escaping assignations. Will my fellow citizens forget all these too quickly on the altar of loyalty to friends, family and loved ones?
“My loyalty to friends is not only when the going is good. I will be there even when the roads are rough. The invitation of Mrs. Toyin Saraki by the EFCC, however, is not a criminal indictment. I will not abandon my friend because of mere EFCC invitation.
“My definition for friendship is he or she who walks in when others are working out. If my father is invited by the EFCC, I will go there, if a prima face case is established against him, I will shout for his prosecution. So my great people, I have no regret following my friend and sister to the EFCC. If you are my friend, you are my friend. I cannot control what my friends will do, but they remain my friends. I am not fighting corruption out of passion only, but because it is the Godly thing to do.”
- Chairman of Nigeria Medical Association tests positive for COVID-19 in Nasarawa
- “And just like that, my life has changed forever” – Chimamanda Adichie pens emotional tribute in honour of her late father
- Five persons have lost their lives as boat capsizes along Ikorodu Channel of the Lagos State Waterways
- ‘Irresponsible and cheap politics’ – How Bukola Saraki described APC statement linking him with Hushpuppi
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence