Estimated Reading Time: <1
As the wife of Nigeria’s Senate president and former Kwara state First Lady, Mrs Toyin Saraki, was summoned for an interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crime’s Commission, she was escorted to the anti-graft agency’s office by five senators and 20 House of Reps members, including the Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly Ali Ahmad.
The senators included Dino Maleye, Peter Nwaobosi, Abdul Abubakar, Binta Mashin and Isa Misau. They all arrived EFCC headquarters at 12.30 pm yesterday where Mrs Saraki was grilled by EFCC officials over alleged fraud charges for almost six hours before she was finally released to go home. She’s expected back there today by 10am.
Mrs Saraki later released a statement via her private secretary Hakeem Olagoje, saying she was very ready and willing to cooperate fully with the EFCC on the investigation.
“As a citizen with the utmost respect for the highest standards of transparency and democratic accountability, Mrs. Toyin Saraki visited the EFCC today as per their invitation. Mrs. Saraki made herself available to assist the commission wholeheartedly with any lawful enquiry they may have. Following today’s visit, Mrs Saraki will continue to cooperate fully with the EFCC and hopes for a prompt and positive resolution in satisfaction of this enquiry.”
“Having placed an emphasis on the importance of accountability, transparency and diligent reporting, Mrs. Saraki maintains that she has always operated within the law and to the highest standards of global compliance in all of her activities.
“Mrs. Saraki reaffirmed her willingness to assist the EFCC and expects that the spirit of this enquiry will follow the global standards and principles of open democracy, transparency and impartially that the EFCC and other similar organisations around the world are founded upon.
“Mrs. Saraki looks forward to drawing a line under the matter and continuing in her global advocacy on maternal, newborn and child health.”
- WAEC cancels Literature-in English exams; candidates to rewrite papers March 11
- “They took away about 470 cows and cattle” killed 15 persons – Eyewitness accounts after gunmen storm Sokoto
- Speaker Gbajabiamila begs Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine
- “That is the trump card that I will not reveal” – Chief of Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor talks tough
- Repentant Boko Haram members return to the terror group after spying on security agents formation – Governor Zulum
- Nigerian soldier and his girlfriend were recently caught supplying ammunitions and military uniforms to armed bandits in Zamfara
- President Buhari decorates new Service Chiefs
- 101 suspected Boko Haram insurgents are suing Federal Government; here’s why
- I prayed Nigeria will not see peace because Buhari denied Rivers State security – Wike
- Breaking: Last minute decision as NAFDAC certifies #AstraZeneca vaccine