Estimated Reading Time: <1
AS the leadership crisis in the House of Representatives lingers, the former Minority leader of the House and preferred candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, for the Speaker position, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila has been accused of threatening to make the House hot when plenary resumes if he was not made leader.
But Gbajabiamila denied ever making such a threat even as he accused the Speaker’s camp of making such allegation.
He said he was a man of peace and believed people should learn to discus and not resort to violence.
The allegation against the APC adopted candidate for the Speaker who lost to Hon. Yakubu Dogara was made by Hon. Yunusa Abubakar Ahmad (APC, Gombe) in Abuja on Tuesday on a monitored AIT programme, tagged “AIT Parliamentary.”
While responding to a question put to him on the leadership crisis in the House, he claimed that a serving governor whose name was not mentioned had said that Gbajabiamila threatened to cause more havoc in the House if he did not emerge as the leader when the House resumes for plenary July 21st.
According to him, “A State Governor told me in confidence that Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila told him that if he is not made the Leader of the House, what happened on the floor of the House on June 25th will be a child’s play.”
The lawmaker who is a member of the Speaker’s camp also faulted the list of Principal Officers sent to the House by the APC leadership which could not be read by Dogara on the floor before fight broke out on June 25th which led to the adjournment to July 21.
He said the list was contrary to the spirit of federal character as it concentrated leadership positions on just two geopolitical zones of the South-West and the North-East.
He said, “If you look at the list that the party sent, Femi Gbajabiamila (Hon) South West) will be Leader of the House, Hon. Muhammed Tahir Monguno (North East) will be Chief Whip, Hon. Pally Iriase from South -South was given the Deputy Whip while Hon. Hassan Garba Ado-Doguwa (North West) will be Deputy Leader; which would have given two principal positions each to the South West and the North East.”
But when contacted to confirm the allegation, Gbajabiamila said, “I do no such thing. It must be story from the other side (Dogara camp). I am a man of peace and believe people should learn to discus and not resort to violence.
“Whoever did that obviously does not know me. No office or position is worth such threats. I will advice if you want to engage in investigative journalism, you ask whoever made such a comment to come out with who the threat was made to and when.”
- Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki arrives APC National Secretariat
- Just In: Gunmen invaded Kaduna community, killing villagers in Kajuru Local Govt
- Toyin Ojora Saraki: Let me be clear, we are failing women and girls
- Borno Governor suspends all staff of General Hospital for negligence
- Bauchi State Deputy Governor Tests Positive For COVID-19
- LASG says 4th Mainland Bridge construction will begin early 2021
- 18 Year Old Student Raped & Murdered In Ibadan
- Revised Budget: FG allocates 27.7 Billion to national assembly while health & education get over 40% cuts
- COVID-19: Nigerian scientists say they have developed a vaccine
- COVID-19 Update: Total infections rise To 10,819 as Nigeria records 241 new cases