Estimated Reading Time: <1
Four members of the robbery gang, which unleashed terror on two commercial banks in the Ipakodo, Ikorodu area of Lagos two weeks ago, have been arrested by the police.
The suspected robbers were arrested from Okitipupa, Ondo State, and Ikorodu, Lagos State, while three Sport Utility Vehicles allegedly bought from the proceeds of the robbery were recovered.
The suspects’ names were given as Monday Akpan, Bright Agbojule, the third identified simply as Jafaru, and one Baba Ibeji.
On Wednesday, June 24, the gang, which was reportedly led by a woman, had stormed the Ebute-Ipakodo branches of the First Bank and Zenith Bank at about 8.30am, and carted away millions of naira.
The robbers, who overwhelmed policemen from the Ipakodo division, were said to have carted away about N60m from the Zenith Bank’s strong room, while N20m were stolen from the bank’s ATM room.
The suspects, who dared policemen to confront them, later escaped in two speedboats at the Ipakodo jetty, Ikorodu.
Four persons, including a bank customer, who were hit by bullets during the one-hour operation, were taken to the General Hospital, Ikorodu.
PUNCH gathered that four members of the gang were arrested by men of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, in an operation involving a former SARS commander, SP Abba Kyari, and an officer, DSP James Okeke.
According to a police source the suspect were arrested by soldiers, who were on a stop-and-search exercise in Ondo State.
It was learnt that the suspect was also found with bundles of new N1,000 notes with bank seals.
He said, “The soldiers were on a stop-and-search and they found the suspect, identified only as Baba Ibeji, while on his way to his home town in Okitipupa, Ondo State.
“During a search, they found bundles of new N1,000 notes with bank seals in his bag.
“The soldiers, who were also aware of the bank robbery in Lagos, smelt a rat and contacted the Lagos State Police Command on the development.
- N-Power Beneficiaries Say They Have Not Received April Payment, Dispute Minister’s Claims
- INEC To Create E-Platforms For Submission Of Nomination Forms In Edo & Ondo Elections
- Nigerian Govt issues circular warning senior officials against leaking documents
- US Government probes Nigeria’s Akinwunmi Adesina at Africa Development Bank
- NDDC: Who Is Afraid Of The President’s Order For A Forensic Audit?
- 35 suspected cultists involved in recent killings in Calabar declared wanted
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital Records First Case Of COVID-19
- To mark Eid-El Fitr, Governor Ganduje of Kano frees 294 inmates
- Barely 3 days after it was streamed on Netflix, Living in Bondage tops all Nollywood movies on the streaming service
- In Enugu, Catholic Bishop chased out worshippers without face masks out of church