Estimated Reading Time: <1
The immediate past Governor of Kano state, Rabi’u Musa Kwankwaso has approached a Gezawa High court seeking an injunction restraining the Economic and Finance Crime Commission from arresting him.
The turn of event for Kwankwaso, a two terms governor of the most populous state in the country might not be unconnected with a petition by Kano pensioners to the anti corruption agency where they accused him to have applied under hand tactics in the management of pension fund.
The petition filed on their behalf by Bashir Nasir &Co that signed by A. B.Bulama Esq alleged that the former Governor deposited the sum of N2billion in Kano branch of defunct Euro Bank Plc, adding soon after the deposit was made the bank went into liquidation.
According to the petition, Kwankwaso refused to follow up for a claim of the said deposit from the NDIC.
The petitioner said the action of the former Governor was a flagrant violation of the provisions of the Kano state Pension and Gratuity Law.
Penultimate week official of key ministries that included the incumbent Accountant General of the state, the Permanent secretary Ministry of Finance and his counterpart at the Ministry of works were quizzed by EFCC in connection with the petition.
Senator Kwankwaso who has been in Abuja since he handed over power to Abdullahi Umar Ganduje was believed to have left behind over N300billion liability that included N199 million unpaid advert bill.
Although his predecessor, Ganduje in his maiden press briefing exonerated his former boss of financial irregularities while in office, but the arrays of uncompleted projects that dotted the city state has kept tongue wagging in the state.
A notice file by Kwankwaso’s Attorney has been received by the Gezawa High court registry and the court has subsequently fixed Thursday for hearing.
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens
- Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Doctors in Lagos State begin warning strike on Monday
- National Theatre handed over to bankers’ committee for renovation
- LASG seals 33 hotels, bars, restaurants, others for violating reopening protocols
- Bollywood Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Test Positive For COVID-19