Estimated Reading Time: <1
As fans of Nigerian music star, Wizkid were busy waiting on the release of his ‘African Bad Girl’ single which we hear features American singer, Chris Brown, the former EME wonderkid had other plans.
He decided to wet his fans’ appetite even further with the release of a Fela-inspired tune, Expensive Shit. The track which was produced by Sarz shares same name with Fela Anikulapo-Kuti’s 1975 album. The song which as expected had an afrobeat undertone has all the qualities to become an instant hit and just when fans were beginning to warm up to the song, the Starboy released the visuals to the song.
The video which was directed by ace filmmaker and cinematographer, Sesan Ogunro was shot in…. yea you guessed right, South Africa. The video preaches the gospel of affluence with expensive jewelries, scantily dressed women, quality bottles of wine, costly shoes and all whatnot making up for what Wizkid describes as ‘Expensive Shit’.
It is no longer news that Wizkid has in the past couple of months tried severally to convince his fans especially those on social media that he is a very close friend of American R’n’B singer, Chris Brown. This is gradually becoming a bit too irritating as Wizkid was seen in this new video admiring a photo of himself and Chris Brown for seconds. Inferiority complex? Maybe not but that was definitely the low point of the video. Wizkid is definitely one of Africa’s biggest exports and he must begin to understand this. Chris Brown does not hold the key to his attempted domination of the world music scene. That scene around the 41 seconds mark was totally unnecessary ( I strongly doubt it was Sesan’s idea but if it was, poor one).
All in all, the video was a brilliant one with amazing picture quality which is characteristic of Sesan‘s works. It is however way off the essence we derived from Wizkid‘s ‘Jaiye Jaiye’ (another Afrobeat inspired tune) which was also produced by Sarz and whose video was also directed by Sesan.
By Augustine Ogwo
- Ibrahim Magu spent his second night in police custody as DSS Operatives ransacked his homes
- Special Report: Fighting COVID-19 in Nigeria but citizens are dying of other illnesses due to neglect
- Kwara Governor loses chief of staff to COVID-19
- Senate ammends Police Act, okays four-year single tenure for IGP
- Schools in Kenya to remain shut until 2021
- “The continued lockdown order on the places of worship is no longer acceptable and reasonably justified” – CAN Leadership tackles Lagos Govt
- EFCC witness, Sani Dauda, denies offering Shehu Sani $25,000 as bribe
- Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority suspends airline, grounds 15 aircraft
- Senate passes anti-sexual harassment bill
- Ibrahim Magu has been suspended as the acting EFCC boss