Connect with us

Featured

‘Boko Haram Stoned Girls, Army Tanks Mistakenly Crushed Those Carrying Gunshot Wounds’ Gruesome Tales Of Rescued Girls

Published

on

Estimated Reading Time: <1

by Chris Nomjov & Agency Reports

Fresh facts have emerged that Boko Haram fighters allegedly resorted to stoning some of their captives to death, as the Nigerian soldiers approached to rescue some of the abducted girls and women.

According to a report from wire service, The Associated Press release on Sunday; the survivors disposer that several women died when they were crushed mistakenly by a military armored car. And three were blown up by a land mine as they were walking to freedom.

The survivors, who these tragic stories, are among girls and women brought to an IDP camp for rehabilitation. Most of whom are still finding it hard to believe they are safe, some after more than a year, in the confines of Boko Haram terrorists.

“We just have to give praise to God that we are alive, those of us who have survived,” said Lami Musa, 27, as she cradled her 5-day-old baby girl.

Lami is among 275 children, girls and women, many bewildered and traumatized, who were getting medical care and being registered on Sunday on their first day out of what has possibly been, a traumatised past few months.

Nigeria’s military has  freed nearly 700 Boko Haram captives in the past week. Lami Musa was in the first group to be transported by road over three days to the safety of Malkohi refugee camp, a dust-blown deserted school set among baobab trees on the outskirts of Yola, the capital of  Adamawa state.

Lami gave birth to her yet-to-be-named baby, just last week when the crackle of gunfire hinted rescuers might be nearby.

“Boko Haram came and told us they were moving out and said that we should run away with them. But we said no,” she explained from a bed in the camp clinic.

“Then they started stoning us. I held my baby to my stomach and doubled over to protect her.”

She and another survivor of the stoning, Salamatu Bulama, said several girls and women were killed, but they do not know exactly how many.

The horrors did not end once the military arrived. A group of women were hiding under some bushes. They could not be seen by the soldiers in an armored personnel carrier who drove right over them.

“I think those killed there were about 10,” said Bulama.

Other women died from stray bullets, she said, naming three she knew.

Bulama said she shielded her face with her veil and cried when she thought about another death in the camp: Her only son, a toddler of two who died of an illness she said was aggravated by malnutrition two months ago.

“What will I tell my husband?” she sobbed. She heard on Sunday, from other survivors using borrowed cell phones to try and trace relatives; that her husband is alive and in the northern town of Kaduna.

Lami Musa said her husband, the father of the new baby, was killed by Boko Haram when they abducted her from her village of Lassa in December. She doesn’t know the fate of their three other children.

At the camp, 21 girls and women with bullet wounds and fractured limbs were taken to the city hospital, after they arrived Saturday evening.

On Sunday, officials were collating details of the rescued 61 women and 214 children, almost all girls.

Health workers put critically malnourished babies on intravenous drips, babies whose rib cages and shoulder blades protruded like skeletons were given packs of therapeutic food to suck from.

Through interviews, officials have determined that almost all those rescued are from Gumsuri, a village near the town of Chibok. It does not appear that any of those released are famous the over 200 school girls abducted from a school in Chibok town, a year ago in a mass abduction that outraged many around the world.

“Based on registration we have carried out so far, none of them is from Chibok,” said Zakari Abubakar, Malkohi camp team leader for the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA).

The women and children were rescued by the military from the Sambisa Forest, a stronghold of the Islamic extremists, and had to travel for three days on the open backs of military trucks to reach the safety of Malkohi Camp.

More than 677 women and girls were freed when soldiers destroyed more than a dozen insurgent camps in the forest, Nigeria’s military said.

Many said they had been taken captive in the past nine months, when Boko Haram had seized a large swath of northeastern Nigeria and declared it an Islamic caliphate. Then, Nigerian troops ran away from the extremists’ advances, complaining they were not given enough ammunition or food to fight, and leaving civilians with no defense against an uprising that killed as many as 10,000 people last year. Some 1.5 million people have been driven from their homes.

The tide has turned in the past nine weeks with a new infusion of armory including helicopter gunships, and a coalition with neighboring countries that brought in troops from Niger, Chad and Cameroon.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Wordpress Social Share Plugin powered by Ultimatelysocial
error

Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)

Follow by Email
Instagram