Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former Minister of Petroleum resources, Prof Tam David-West says anyone caught involving in election rigging deserves to be sentenced to death.
Speaking in Port harcourt, Rivers state to Punch over the contentious Saturday governorship election in the state, David-West said election riggers are worse than armed robbers and that sentencing them to death when apprehended is the only way Nigeria can have peaceful, free and fair elections.
“I have said that election riggers should get death sentence. Rigging election is worse that armed robbery. If an armed robber can be sentenced to death, election riggers must face similar punishment. That is the only way we can have peaceful, free and fair election in this country. It (election) was a sham. From all I heard, in Buguma, Asari-Toru, there was no election as a result of sporadic shooting in the area. Surprisingly, INEC released a result. It is wrong for anyone to say that the conducted election is good. Is that some people see the death as goodness? If an election is fraught with violence and other forms of malpractices, if it is not corrected, it would stain the performance of INEC.” – he said
- The security situation in Nigeria today is beyond the APC – Nasarawa Governor cries out
- Reveal identities of the terrorists behind Jangebe schoolgirls abduction – ACF tells Matawalle
- Finally, 3.92 million COVID-19 vaccines arrive in Nigeria
- Buhari has declared Zamfara a no-fly zone
- Insecurity is the number one problem of Africa – Akinwunmi Adesina
- Breaking: Senate confirm appointment of new service chiefs
- Buhari, Osinbajo meet with National Security Council
- Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s mum is dead
- Just in: Thousands of residents trapped as Boko Haram insurgents take over Dikwa, Borno State
- Our abductors threatened to kill, fry, eat us – Jangebe schoolgirls