Estimated Reading Time: <1
Even though collation of results in the Lagos governorship election is still ongoing, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party for the election, Jimi Agbaje, has conceded defeat and congratulated his main challenger, Akinwunmi Ambode of the All Progressives Congress.
Mr. Agbaje telephoned Mr. Ambode at exactly 6:58 PM to concede defeat and congratulate the APC candidate, the spokesperson for Mr. Ambode’s campaign, Steve Ayorinde, told PREMIUM TIMES.
Mr. Ayorinde said in response, Mr. Ambode thanked Mr. Agbaje and wished him well.
There have been widespread celebration in the camp of the APC after collations from local government areas suggested Mr. Ambode had defeated Mr. Agbaje.
The Independent National Electoral Commission is however yet to release an official result of the election.
Mr. Agbaje had a few hours ago assured his supporters that he could only be said to have lost after an official announcement by INEC.
In a message he posted to his official Facebook Page about two hours ago, Mr. Agbaje had said he was following the collation of results from across the state and remained confident of victory.
He said reports suggesting he had lost were unofficial and should be discountenanced.
Mr. Agbaje said, “Lagosians I want to thank you for coming out yesterday to exercise your right to vote.
“I want to assure you that we are currently monitoring the vote counting process, so please do not believe the various unofficial numbers that are being shared across the internet.
“An official announcement will be made at the appropriate time when all numbers are in.
“Continue to remain resolute, and again, thank you for your continued support.”
- Breaking: APC pulls out of ongoing local government polls in Delta
- CBN Introduce incentives to diaspora remittances: Beneficiaries to get N5 for every USD received
- Breaking: In Kaduna, Gunmen storm Federal Airport Authority quarters, abduct staff, family members
- Buhari and Osinbajo get Vaccinated against COVID-19, when will poor Nigerians get theirs?
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo
- Singer, Simi says female entertainers are constantly pitted against each other – she explains the difficulties
- Lagos State Government announces 3 months partial closure of Marine bridge
- WAEC cancels Literature-in English exams; candidates to rewrite papers March 11
- “They took away about 470 cows and cattle” killed 15 persons – Eyewitness accounts after gunmen storm Sokoto