Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chris Nomjov
The Director General of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Organisation, Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers state, on Tuesday said his party’s imminent victory at the Presidential elections means a lot to him and that the party would be magnanimous in victory.
Amaechi also said the incoming APC government would do all the things the Peoples Democratic Party government failed to do.
The APC candidate won Saturday’s presidential election after the Independent National Electoral Commission announced results from 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
The only state left is Borno, which will be announced by 8pm, according to INEC chairman, Attahiru Jega.
Mr. Amaechi, who had a brief chat with journalists at the national secretariat of the APC on Tuesday in Abuja, said while victory celebration was in order, the task ahead is more important.
“After the result of each state has been announced it became clear to the nation that the APC has won the election and we will be magnanimous in victory because the challenges are much,” Mr. Amaechi said. “It is not only about celebration of victory, it is about seriousness of governance and we must show the different between us and the current government.
“If we say there was incompetence, we must show competence. If we say there was corruption, we must show that we will not be corrupt. If we say that people were denied of their basic right we must protect their rights, if we say there was impunity, we must govern by the rule of law, and once we show that Nigerians will see the different between us and the current government.
When asked to explain what the victory meant to him, Mr. Ameachi said it means “quitE a lot”.
He said as director general of the campaign, he is now confident telling his children that for the first time in the history of Nigeria, an opposition party was able to dislodge an incumbent government from power.
He said it was gladdening to have been part of a group that gave the people the courage to confront a sitting government and challenge it on what were being done wrongly.
- Nollywood Actress, Regina Daniels is having a baby with Ned Nwoko
- Infectious Diseases Bill more dangerous than coronavirus – Ekweremadu
- Ibrahim, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, is dead
- Doctors threaten strike over non payment of COVID-19 Allowance
- 268 Nigerians arrive from China
- Niger State plans to modernise local Islamic schools
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is haunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English
- President Buhari reconstitutes NNPC board
- We have worked hard for our COVID-19 free status- Cross River Govt