Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Chris Nomjov
The State High Court in Kano has pronounced an eighteen months prison sentence to one Anas Usman Adam for defrauding a lady, who sought his services for visa procurement.
Justice A.M Bayero, who delivered the judgement, found the accused guilty of a 2-count charge of conspiracy and criminal breach of trust brought against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
Adam was allegedly contacted by one Hajia Amina Abdulhamid Yakubu sometime in 2013 to help her secure three Saudi Arabia visas for the purpose of performing the lesser Hajj.
According to the complainant, the visas allegedly procured by the convict, were all rejected upon presentation at the airport when it was discovered that the documents were not genuine.All efforts by the victim to either get the convict to address the problem or obtain a refund of her money were futile.
One of the counts upon which he was convicted reads:
“That you, Alminar Travels and Tour Limited and Anas Usman Adam sometime in July, 2013 at Kano within the jurisdiction of the High Court of Kano State with intent to defraud, falsely representing that you are operating a travel agency capable of obtaining visa and other travel documents, obtained the sum of N1,570,000.00 ( one million, five hundred and seventy thousand naira) from Hajia Amina Abdul Hamid Yakubu purporting to secure visas for her to travel to Saudi Arabia for Umrah, which pretences you knew to be false and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 1 (1) (a) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Related Offences Act, 2006 and punishable under Section 1(3) of the same Act”.
Justice Bayero found Adam guilty and sentenced him to six months and one year imprisonment respectively on counts one and two respectively.
He however offered him the option of a N250,000 fine.
Head, Media & Publicity, EFCC.
- Breaking: 553 new Coronavirus cases reported in Nigeria, highest in a single day
- Kaduna: Group calls for FG’s intervention in Kajuru killings
- Nollywood Actress, Regina Daniels is having a baby with Ned Nwoko
- Infectious Diseases Bill more dangerous than coronavirus – Ekweremadu
- Ibrahim, President Muhammadu Buhari’s nephew, is dead
- Doctors threaten strike over non payment of COVID-19 Allowance
- 268 Nigerians arrive from China
- Niger State plans to modernise local Islamic schools
- “Destructive shadow of bitterness, we’re shackled by the sins of our fathers”- Nigeria is haunted by the Biafran war
- Nigeria’s Elnathan John, others to judge Kalahari short story competition open to writers in Swahili, French and English