Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Inspector-General of Police, Mr Suleiman Abba, has set up a Special Investigative Unit for Electoral Offences ahead of the forthcoming general elections.
This was contained in the Independent National Electoral Commission’s Daily Bulletin in Abuja on Friday.
The bulletin said the unit would be headed by a Commissioner of Police, Mr Nwodibo Ekechukwu of the Legal Section of the Force Criminal Intelligence and Investigative Department.
It said the commissioner would be assisted by two Coordinators, Tafida Sale, an Assistant Commissioner of Police for the North and ACP Imo Orok, for the South, six team leaders, 29 members and 26 support staff.
According to the bulletin, this is to stem the tide of electoral violence that might beset the 2015 general elections.
It said the letter, setting up the unit, dated February 16, was conveyed to the Chairman of INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega.
The bulletin said the letter was signed by the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, FCIID, Mr Solomon Arase.
“The I-G said the unit was set up to ensure that electoral offences were not only detected but diligently investigated and prosecuted in collaboration with the commission,” it said.
A further breakdown of the unit indicated that six members of the unit would take charge of the South-West, six for the South-South and another six for the South-East.
Also, six members would take charge of North-West, five, North-East and six for the North-Central.
- Bandits displace over 600, mostly women and children in Katsina, Buhari’s home state
- Late Abba Kyari “fingered” in the ‘face-off’ between Abike Dabiri-Erewa and Minister Pantami -Read this Letter
- Parents Who Enroll Children Into Almajiri System May Go To Jail – El-Rufai
- Manager of Demolished Prodest Hotel Among 27 New COVID-19 Cases In Rivers
- All I Always Wanted In The Music Space Is Consistency – iLLBliss
- N-Power Beneficiaries Say They Have Not Received April Payment, Dispute Minister’s Claims
- INEC To Create E-Platforms For Submission Of Nomination Forms In Edo & Ondo Elections
- Nigerian Govt issues circular warning senior officials against leaking documents
- US Government probes Nigeria’s Akinwunmi Adesina at Africa Development Bank
- NDDC: Who Is Afraid Of The President’s Order For A Forensic Audit?