Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Chris Nomjov
The body of a member of the National Youth Service Corp, NYSC, identified as Ernest, 26, was on Wednesday recovered from his apartment after he reportedly committed suicide by taking a poisonous substance.
According to reports, Ernest was in love with a fellow NYSC member, Chioma Okewuru, and he went furious when she came back from her village over the weekend with a ring from a man she had promised to marry. Ernest, who hails from Edo State and a graduate of the University of Benin, was posted to Cross River State in October, where he met and fell in love with Chioma.
They were both serving in Redemption Secondary School, Ofombogha 1 in Obubra Local Government Area of the state. Confirming the incident, the Acting Divisional Police Officer for Obubra, Mr. Noah Ntuen, said, “The girl had told the guy that she would not marry him, but that they could be friends.
So when she came back from home last weekend and showed him the ring her husband-to-be gave her, the young man became furious. “On Wednesday, the situation became worse and at about 7pm, he locked himself in the room and took some poisonous substances.”
Also, a source at the school said, “They met at the NYSC Orientation Camp at Abrekpe-Ebokpo and as luck would have it, they were both posted to the same school where they had a relationship going. “He had the hope the whole thing would end in marriage, but Chioma already had another person she wants to marry.”
The body of the deceased has been deposited in the mortuary of Obubra General Hospital, while Chioma is with the police, where investigations on the circumstances surrounding Ernest’s death are ongoing.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami