Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Deji Abiodun
The governorship campaign of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Okrika, Rivers state, ended abruptly on Tuesday with “two explosions” and sporadic gunshots that sent the crowd fleeing from the campaign venue.
Three improvised explosive devices had initially gone off close to the venue, but the supporters of the party reconvened awaiting the arrival of Dakuku Peterside, the APC gubernatorial candidate in Rivers. The United States had named Rivers States one of the flash points for violence ahead of Nigeria’s 2015 Election.
The governorship candidate of the APC inRivers State, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, escaped death on Tuesday as unknown gunmen disrupted the party’s campaign rally in Okrika Local Government Area of the state.
Peterside was whisked away by security operatives in the midst of the deafening sound of sporadic gunshots few minutes after three explosives went off close to the campaign ground at the Okrika National Secondary School Field.
The initial bomb scare had caused a stampede as APC supporters took to their heels to avoid being hit by three separate explosions which were later confirmed to have been fireworks thrown into the scene by suspected mischief makers.
The party supporters that were dispersed by the three separate explosions immediately reconvened only to be sent out of the campaign venue by the sporadic gunshots.
Security agents went down on the ground after drawing their guns in a bid to spot out where the unknown gunmen were hiding to hit them back.
Courts and party supporters of both parties have in the past been attacked and persons injured, the National Human Rights Commission had last week said 55 Nigerians have so far been killed in pre-election violence nationwide.
The APC Candidate Dakuku Peterside, who is favoured to take over the governorship position from incumbent Rotimi Amaechi who has been at loggerheads with the President is challenging Nyesom Wike, an alleged favourite candidate of the President’s wife.
[Pictured is a channels Television reporter] trying to dodge the shots fired and explosives…
- Tambuwal appoints committee to investigate Sokoto central market fire
- Anambra Governorship election to hold November 6 – INEC
- Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo flags off N5,000 cash transfer to low-income earners in urban areas
- Arewa Youth Leader says Northern Nigeria is the most backward region despite having the president
- Borno Governor asks Federal Character Commission for more employment slots
- Buhari appoints Nigeria’s first female ambassador to the United States
- Motorcycle riders are working as spies for kidnappers – Amotekun says
- Where will herdsmen graze if they leave the forest reserves? – Miiyetti Allah queries Akeredolu’s vacation order
- Kukah gets international recognition with appointment by Pope Francis
- Buhari in closed door meeting with President of Benin Republic