Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Northern Elders’ Forum (NEF) on Thursday said it would support APC Presidential Candidate, Muhammadu Buhari, in the forthcoming general elections, News Agency of Nigeria.
Ango Abdullahi, the spokesman of the forum, said this at a news conference in Zaria, Kaduna state, on Thursday.
He said the measure became necessary due to the “unfair and unjust manner” the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, had treated the region.
“In 2011, some people including some governors supported the incumbent president to contest; it is a disrespect for the party’s constitution and in 2015, they present him as a sole candidate.
“This forum is agitating for a candidate from the North and no party has fulfilled such condition except the All Progressives Congress (APC),” he said.
He said that as a founding member of the PDP, he was in a better position to give account of what transpired before the election of President Goodluck Jonathan.
Mr. Abdullahi said the PDP had not only denied its zoning agreement as enshrined in its constitution but had succeeded in dividing the country based on sentiments.
“This PDP constitution hinges on fairness, equity and justice to all and that was what made PDP the greatest and biggest party then.
“Therefore, I am in a better position to give account of the party and zoning is part of the party’s constitution and must be obeyed.
“In view of this, Northern Elders Forum will not support PDP in the forthcoming elections,” he said.
The spokesman dismissed fears that the forthcoming elections may lead to the disintegration of the country.
“I do not see any reason why Nigeria should break up, based on the indicators available at hand.
“Remember, there are a few selfish Nigerians who had stolen and siphoned Nigeria’s money, and they would not want us to live together.
“But from all indications, majority of Nigerians want to live together in peace,” Abdullahi said.
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid