Estimated Reading Time: <1
Following the emergence of General Muhammadu Buhari as the Presidential candidate for the All Progressives Congress, Nigeria’s Senate President David Mark has told President Goodluck Jonathan that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has serious opponents to contend with at all levels in the 2015 general elections.
The Senate president said this at the Presidential Villa Abuja last night during the inauguration of the party’s National Campaign Council chaired by its National Chairman Adamu Muazu.
Mark said this few hours after former Head of State retired General Muhammadu Buhari emerged the presidential candidate of the opposition All Progressives Congress (APC).
Mark therefore charged members of the PDP campaign council to work hard to sell the party’s candidates to the electorate.
“Members of this council have serious work to do as the party’s opponents are serious opponents to contend with,” the Senate president said.
In his remarks, Jonathan said the council would oversee all PDP campaigns, urging members to engage people on issues.
Meanwhile, a former national chairman of the PDP, Ahmadu Ali, has been appointed as the director-general of Jonathan’s Presidential Campaign Committee.
The committee is to be inaugurated at the Legacy House, Maitama in Abuja on Monday.
In a related development, the PDP has welcomed the emergence of General Muhammadu Buhari as the presidential flag bearer of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
“We are convinced that the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) remains the only truly national political party in Nigeria, a platform on which all Nigerians can pursue their legitimate aspirations.”
- “Acute corruption, indebtedness and nepotism” – The PDP says of Buhari’s ‘regime’ in 5 years
- Donald Trump, the African strongman in America
- NITDA to implement digital economy policy, strategy plan
- Court strikes out charges against Senator Adeleke, over exam malpractice
- Ya’u Usman Idris appointed as DG of Nigeria Nuclear Regulatory Authority
- Hadiza El-Rufai: When emotional intelligence is social distancing
- Human rights commission calls for action in addressing Almajiri children
- May 29: Buhari lists achievements over the last five years; here’s the full account
- Just In: Nigeria confirms 8,915 Coronavirus cases
- Buhari at United Nations high-level meeting advocates for debt cancellation