Estimated Reading Time: <1
For the first time, Barcelona FC forward and former world footballer of the year, Lionel Messi has hinted at his possible departure from the Spanish club in the near future.
Here’s what he told Argentine sports paper, Ole in a new interview:
“I’m thinking about having a great year at Barcelona and about winning the titles we want to win at Barcelona. Nothing more.
“After that, we’ll see. Football has a lot of twists and turns. I always said that I’d like to stay there forever, but things don’t always work out as you want them to.”
When asked if his possible departure in the near future is his or that of the club, here’s what he said:
“I have said it many times – if it were up to me, I would stay forever. But like I said just now, things don’t always turn out how you would like, especially the in football, which is so changeable and in which so many things happen.
“It’s difficult and more so in these difficult times that Barcelona are going through at the moment.”
The Blaugrana have been hit by several scandals off the pitch this year, with the resignation of former president Sandro Rosell back in January, while back-to-back defeats in La Liga (including the Clasico at the Santiago Bernabeu last month) have seen Luis Enrique’s side overtaken by fierce rivals Real Madrid at the top of the table.
“It’s a very big club,” Messi said. “And when you lose two games in a row, the problems start and there is criticism from all sides. It’s a bit like what happens in the national team.
“A new coach came in with new ideas and that takes time. We have more than enough great players to achieve important things this year, so I’m relaxed. This is just starting – there’s a long way to go in La Liga and in the Champions League.”
Could this be the end of an era for Barcelona? Only time will tell
- APC plans to use Ganduje, Yahyah Bello and Uzodinma to derail Edo election – PDP
- Stamp duty will now be paid on house rent and C of O – FIRS
- No differences to sort out in APC, says Tinubu
- EFCC arraigns Malabu Oil, six others over $1 billion fraud
- Plateau State Chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19
- COVID-19: Akwa Ibom has not received any financial assistance from FG – Gov Udom Emmanuel
- 24 hours after Ayade’s ‘party’ to celebrate zero COVID-19, UCTH announce 5 positive cases
- Ondo State Governor’s wife, Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, aide test positive for COVID-19
- NUJ wants Ondo Governor to declare 14 days lockdown
- Nigeria’s debt portfolio of has risen to N28.63tn