Breaking News

Yobe Government Closes All Schools Aftermath Of Suicide Bombing, Gombe Did Same Last Week

The Yobe State Government has closed down all public and private schools in the state, following Monday’s suicide bomb attack on Government Science Secondary School, Potiskum.

NewsWireNGR recalls that the Gombe State Government had on Wednesday last week ordered the closure of all public and private schools in the state, a day after suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked two towns in the state.

Following the suicide attack that claimed 48 lives and injured 79 others. The Yobe state Commissioner for Education, Muhammad Lamin, said in a statement in Damaturu on Tuesday, also ordered the closure of schools with immediate effect.

Mr. Lamin said that government decided to close the schools to enable it adopt more security measures to guarantee the safety of students, teachers and the school environment across the state.

Monday’s attack has been condemned both in Nigeria and by the international community. The UN, U.S., and UNICEF all released statements condemning the suicide attack by a suspected member of the Boko Haram.

United Nations International Children Education Fund (UNICEF) had in July 2014 raised an alarm that the Northeastern region of Nigeria which has always remained educationally backward may be further drawn back by the recent Boko Haram siege on the region.

The development has led to more number of out of school children. UNICEF statistics showed that Nigeria has 10.5 million children out of school – the highest number in the world of which nearly 6.3 million, or 60 per cent, of the 10.5 million Nigerian children out of school children live in the northern part of the country.

Leave a Reply