Estimated Reading Time: <1
The much talked about El Clasico debut for Luis Suarez has come and gone but ended on a sour note for Barcelona, the team the Uruguayan represents.
Despite going ahead in the 4th minute through a good strike by Neymar, the Catalans began to fall short after Gerard Pique handled a Real Madrid cross in his penalty box and the Madrid side restored parity from the resulting Cristiano Ronaldo penalty kick.
The teams went in at half time with the scores at 1-1 but it was Real Madrid that went ahead next when Pepe scored a powerful header from a corner kick. While Barcelona worked hard to get an equalizer, it was Madrid who went further ahead when a swift counter attacking move resulted in a goal from Benzema in the 61st minute.
It was a relatively quiet debut for Luis Suarez and Barcelona manager, Luis Enrique surprised everyone when he started Mathieu at the left back position ahead of Jordi Alba. Xavi also started the match but was substituted in the second half when Ivan Rakitic came on for him.
The match ended at 3-1 as Real bagged the vital three points.
- Violence in Kwara: Governor imposes fresh curfews in Offa, Erin-Ile
- Drug lords responsible for funding terrorism in Nigeria – Senate President
- Police arrest man who stabbed wife to death
- I can count 187 times President Buhari has said he will end banditry without results – Fayose
- ‘Amotekun will be deployed to protect COVID-19 vaccines in Ogun’ says Governor Dapo Abiodun
- Shortly after the release of school girls, terrorists abduct over 60 – burn Zamfara town
- Ogun State deputy speaker impeached over thuggery allegations
- Federal Government says States that have not met the criteria for vaccine safety will not get doses
- Just in: Buhari, Osinbajo to be publicly vaccinated on Saturday
- Jangebe schoolgirls: Reunion turns violent as security operatives shoot protesters