Breaking News

Governor Ayo Fayose Takes Over And Ekiti State Workers Call Off Strike

Ekiti State workers have suspended the two- week- old strike they declared over the the non- payment of their two-month salaries and allowances.

The State Joint Negotiating Council Chairman, Oladipupo Johnson, broke the news to newsmen in Ado-Ekiti.  He said the workers agreed to suspend the strike in order to honour Fayose after a meeting with the Head of Service, Mr. Bunnies Famosaya.

Johnson said, “We met at the Labour House and agreed to suspend the strike in order to allow the new government settle down. This is to allow him to settle down in office to find solutions to pending issues with workers.

“That is the position as of now. We have directed all the striking unions under the JNC to ask their members to resume on Friday. We want to allow him to put an end to all the bad policies where salaries of workers will not be paid and the government will be withholding deductions, and other related issues.

“We expect all workers in the public service to resume tomorrow (Friday).” He said the council had earlier met with government officials on Wednesday where it refused to suspend the strike pending the inauguration of Fayose.

While declaring the strike on October 2, Johnson had said, “It is unfortunate to note that in spite of the pronouncement and promises from top government functionaries, there seem to be no light at the end of the tunnel . Sequel to the following, the workers of the public service had met and directed that no worker should come to work today, October 2, 2014 and this subsists until all conditions are met.

“And any worker who refuses to obey this simple directive dos so at his or her own risk since the leaders would not take responsibility for anything that happens.”

Johnson, who said the council had been in dialogue with Fayemi in the last three months over the issues, expressed surprise that the workers were not paid even after government received two allocations.

“We don’t want to stay back and allow our people to be dying on the streets because we are gradually becoming beggars. The Government has not paid salaries in the last two months, that is why we ask them to be at home and look for alternative ways of existence

“They are owing full salaries for August and September and 60 per cent deductions in the June and July salaries. And going by evidence we had, the former governor had collected two allocations without remembering that these salaries should be paid.

“We have met with the Head of Service, the Accountant General and other relevant people and what they agreed was that the salaries will be paid by October 1, 2014.’’

Representatives of the JNC had earlier met with the Head of Service, Mr. Bunmi Famosaya, where it was agreed that the workers should respect the new administration by calling off the strike.

Leave a Reply