Estimated Reading Time: <1
By Calistus Ndu
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has sacked Stephen Keshi, coach of the country’s national team, the Super Eagles Wednesday night.
Amaju Pinnick-led Nigeria Football Federation, NFF, has relieved Super Eagles Coach Stephen Keshi of his job.
Keshi, his assistants, Ike Shorounmu and Daniel Amokachi have been asked to proceed on any foreign course of their choice to be sponsored by the football body.
Executive committee of the newly constituted Nigeria Football Federation, at a meeting at Transcorp Hilton, Abuja said Keshi, will now be replaced by Shuaibu Amodu, a former coach of the team who will lead a consortium of coaches in the remaining matches of the Eagles in the African Nations Cup Qualifiers, while the federation hunts for a foreign coach for the team.
Shuaibu according to NFF will be supported by Salisu Yusuf, Gbenga Ogunbote and Aloysius Agu. Garba Lawal, a former player will serve as the team ‘s coordinator.
Amodu as a caretaker coach, will take charge of the team for the last two matches in the qualifying round for the 2015 African Cup of Nations.
Keshi’s three-year contract with NFF actually expired at the end of the World Cup in Brazil, where he led the team to the second round of the competition, just after winning the African Cup of Nations.
The team have had a run of bad results since then, losing to Sudan and Congo in the Group A qualifiers and drawing with South Africa. The team rccorded a 3-1 victory over Sudan in Abuja on Wednesday.
But the NFF executives did not seem to be impressed to give Keshi a new contract, more so since Keshi had boasted that he has several African countries waiting to hire him.
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid