Estimated Reading Time: <1
Governor Adams Oshiomole of Edo state has cleared the air about his presidential ambition saying that he is more focused on delivering his promises to the people of Edo state. He also said that people should ignore comments from his aide on his ambition.
Oshiomole said this on Thursday in a statement personally signed by him, he said“following persistent inquiries from friends, political associates and well-meaning Nigerians both at home and abroad over speculations of my interest in the 2015 presidential election, and media comments by my aides, I wish to categorically state that I am not contesting for the 2015 presidential election. My focus now is to continue with our efforts to accelerate the pace of our development programmes to take Edo State to the next level.
“Today, I believe my party, the APC, has enough credible materials to pick from to fly the party’s flag in the 2015 presidential election.
“Anyone conversant with my antecedents will attest that I am not the type who does things half-heartedly. If I had resolved to run in 2015 I would have come out boldly and publicly to declare my intention.
He said that he had received similar pressure in 2007 but chose to run for Governor of Edo state in the belief that service delivery can come via any office.
“Recall that in 2007 shortly after the expiration of my tenure, as two-term President of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), I similarly came under pressure from well-meaning Nigerians from across all the divides (including foremost human rights lawyer and activist, Chief Gani Fawehinmi of blessed memory) to vie for the presidency.
“But convinced that anyone genuinely interested in service could do so in any capacity, I insisted against popular demand not to contest the presidency but the Governorship of Edo State in 2007 and, to the Glory of God, I won. Again, in 2012, I sought re-election and resoundingly won.
“I remain absolutely committed to the Nigerian project.
“I offer this clarification to clear the air once and for all. He said
It will be that Oshiomole’s commissioner for Information Mr Louis Odion had earlier confirmed that the Governor is interested in obtaining the Presidential ticket of the APC.
“It is not a rumour, it is a fact, Oshiomhole is in the race. But if you expect the kind of jamboree that is currently taking place, where people embark on road show, promising heaven and earth, Oshiomhole is not going to do that. I can tell you he is in the race. And it is in response to the yearnings of well meaning Nigerians that our country needs some body of his pedigree at this point of our history to move Nigeria forward” Odion said.
Oshiomhole has however clarified his interest.
- The bill to reduce 2020 budget has passed second reading
- Obasanjo rallies support for Adesina over AfDB allegations
- Lai Mohammed shares media strategy for Covid-19 awareness
- Gombe discharges 153 Almajiris after two weeks quarantine
- Breaking: NDDC shuts down headquarters – internal memo reveals why
- Central Bank of Nigeria cuts monetary policy rate to 12.5 percent
- British citizens in Nigeria to be evacuated to the UK – Geoffrey Onyeama
- 43% of Nigerians have lost their jobs since COVID-19, this study deserves your attention
- Breaking: Buhari writes National Assembly, wants a fresh $5.513bn loan
- Just In: Nigerian civil aviation releases new Post-COVID protocol for international flights resumption