Estimated Reading Time: <1
Despite endorsing President Goodluck Jonathan as the sole Presidential candidate of the party, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has warned its state chapters against embracing that example in choosing its governorship candidates.
In a statement by its spokesperson, Olisa Metuh, on Thursday, the PDP said only its national leadership was mandated by its constitution to adopt a candidate.
The party said the closing date for sale of the party nomination forms for the various elective offices remained October 30, and warned against the states against adopting any governorship aspirant.
The statement said the National Working Committee, NWC, had noted the activities of some persons and groups supporting some aspirants for the 2015 general election at the state level.
“the national leadership wishes to restate in the strongest possible terms that elected party officials at the state, local government and ward levels must not be involved in such, as they must remain as unbiased umpires in the nomination process.”
“For the avoidance of doubt, only the National Executive Committee, NEC, as an organ of the party can officially endorse a candidate under the PDP constitution. All party officials at all levels are expected to be guided by this.”
On the sale of nomination forms, the party insisted on the October deadline, stating, “All aspirants are therefore advised to adhere strictly to this directive as the party shall not extend the sales beyond this date.”
It added, “The NWC urges all aspirants to carefully study the guidelines and party’s code of conduct for elections and ensure that they conduct their campaigns accordingly as the PDP shall not condone any aberration or abuse of its internal electoral process.”
- Governor Ganduje of Kano begs FG to stop migration of herdsmen into Northern Nigeria
- In Ekiti, no more bail or plea bargaining for rape offenders – Governor Fayemi
- Meet the 23 year old gender activist kicking down the patriarchy in Borno
- We must renounce our tribal identities; I’m Nigerian NOT Igbo
- 13-year-old girl drugged and gang-raped in Kaduna
- World Environment Day: environmentalists stress the importance of nature to humans
- Family of Uwaila Umozuwa, 22-year-old raped and murdered allege death threats
- Court reaffirms INEC powers to deregister political parties
- “Gambari was an Abacha man” – Wole Soyinka says Buhari’s Chief of Staff is part of the structure
- Nigeria records 328 new cases of COVID-19, total number infections now 11, 844