Estimated Reading Time: <1
by Oluwatosin Fatoyinbo
After being discharged of all charges against him by the Federal High Court today, Lagos state House of Assembly speaker, Rt Hon Adeyemi Kuforiji has expressed his appreciation to God and APC leaders for their support throughout the period of his trial.
Ikuforiji addressed journalists in his office after he was discharged by a Federal High Court in Lagos. it will be recalled that Ikuforiji was charged with alongside his aide on a 54 count charge of money laundering in December 2011.
Ikuforiji said “Today is almost three years after the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission decided to act on a spurious petition by some faceless individuals.
“The Federal High Court sitting in Lagos dismissed the comical 54-count charge of money laundering against me and my personal aide, Mr Oyebode Atoyebi.
“In this season of vindication, I cannot but thank God the Almighty for his unwavering mercy throughout the trial.
“I am grateful to the leaders of the party, especially the former Governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, and the Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babatunde Fashola (SAN) for free legal consultation sessions with him.’’
Ikuforiji also expressed gratitude to Gov. Rauf Aregbesola of Osun, party members, religious bodies, political associates, friends and his colleagues at the Lagos Assembly for the vote of confidence passed on him during the trial.
He said that his travail in the last three years taught him some lessons, noting that victory was sweet and he had learnt to wait patiently for it.
“The victory is not mine alone; it is our collective victory for democracy, judiciary, for the assembly, the state and also for the journalists who stood on the side of the truth,” the speaker said.
- Bishop Kukah explains why Buhari makes it difficult for Nigerians to celebrate diversity
- Ondo 2020: Agboola plans to rig in Ilaje, says Akeredolu
- “I did not campaign against subsidy” – Pastor Tunde Bakare
- Fredrick Nwabufo: The injurious lies in Buhari’s Independence Day speech
- Protesters besiege the US embassy Abuja, demands Buhari’s resignation
- “Governance is not magic” – Babatunde Fashola says Nigerians are looking for results in the wrong place
- “It makes no sense for oil to be cheaper in Nigeria than in Saudi Arabia” – Buhari
- Just In: No fewer than 20 #RevolutionNow protesters arrested in Lagos
- Cheta Nwanze: Between the bar and the bench
- Tinubu says Lagos is an example of the success story of Nigeria