Estimated Reading Time: <1
THE Southwest Zonal Executive Committee of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has removed its chairman, Chief Isola Filani. This was disclosed in a communiqué issued at the end of an extra-ordinary meeting in Ibadan. At the meeting attended by 13 members of the Zonal committee, a vote of no confidence was passed on Filani.
The meeting, which was presided over by an ex-officio, Ayotunde Olowofoyeku, appointed the former treasurer, Lanre Orimoloye, as acting chairman.
Filani was accused of “running a one-man” administration, and that he refused to call meetings contrary to the constitution of the party.
In his defence, Filani said he was not aware of the meeting where he was removed.
“I was not at the meeting. I don’t know how they came to that conclusion,” he said.
The communiqué issued by the committee reads: “The meeting is being held in accordance with Section 27: 3 & 4 of our party’s constitution, which authorises the two-third majority of our members to convene a meeting.
“The Zonal Executive Committee hereby urges Mr. President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, to declare his intention to contest the 2015 Presidential elections, stating that the SW (Southwest) Zone will give him all necessary support.
“The Zonal Executive Committee congratulates the good people of Ekiti State, our party and the Governor-elect, Dr. Ayo Fayose, on the victory of our party in the June 21st, 2014 gubernatorial election.
“In the same vein, the Zonal Executive Committee hereby congratulates our party and the gubernatorial candidate Senator Iyiola Omisore on the significant success recorded in the August 9th, 2014 gubernatorial elections in Osun State. The zone equally gives support to the party’s efforts to reclaim our mandate at the tribunal.
“The meeting also reviewed the activities of the zone since the emergence of the caretaker committee. It noted that Mr. Chairman, Chief Ishola Filani, has been running a one-man show and has not carried the members along in the running, finance and other statutory issues of the zone.
“In the light of the above, the meeting hereby passes a vote of no confidence on the chairman, Chief Ishola Filani.
“Finally, for the smooth running of the zone, the meeting hereby appoints Lanre Orimoloye – the Zonal Treasurer – to act in his place and Ayo Olowofoyeku, the Zonal Ex-Officio from Osun State to Act as the Zonal Treasurer.”
13 members including the Secretary, Chief Adepegba Otemolu; the Women Leader, Chief Wunmi Osinroluke-Euba; the Financial Secretary, Otunba Banji Obasanmi and the Publicity Secretary, Waheed Lawal signed the communiqué.
- APC wants security agencies to probe reports linking suspected cybercriminal, Hushpuppi to top-ranking PDP members
- Just In: Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu has tested negative for COVID-19
- Breaking: Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi, tests Positive for COVID-19
- Governor Akeredolu rejects the idea of handing over power to deputy governor
- Eunice Ortom, wife of Benue State governor, her son and some of her staff have tested positive for COVID-19
- Udo Jude Ilo: Making the best of the Public Anger on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence
- Edo Elections: PDP picks Nyesom Wike as campaign chairman
- Governor Abdulrazaq reshuffles cabinet
- LASG announces partial reopening of schools
- Kogi Governor appoints acting Chief Judge