Estimated Reading Time: <1
Former Kwara State governor and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has asked President Goodluck Jonathan to live up to expectation of Nigerians because he could lose re-election next year if he failed to do the will of the people.
Saraki in a statement to newswirengr said the outcome of the just-concluded governorship election in Ekiti State, in which incumbent APC Governor, Mr. Kayode Fayemi, was defeated by People’s Democratic Party, Ayo Fayose was a signal that the President could lose re-election in 2015.
“It is important that around the clock people want to be engaged. This should also serve as a lesson to Mr President and other elected officials that as an incumbent it is very possible to lose in Nigeria. If you fail to do the will of the people.”
The senator congratulated the Governor-Elect Mr Ayo Fayose for his doggedness and his closeness to the grassroots which spans over the years and has been attributed to his win. I equally congratulate Governor Fayemi; who took the path of honour by conceding defeat and congratulating Governor Fayose on his success.
He said, “With this show of sportsmanship, it is my belief that other politicians will respect the wish of the electorates and do the same in future elections devoid of violence and political bickering as demonstrated by the peace loving people of Ekiti. I will also like to congratulate the electoral agency INEC as it appears the body has shown remarkable improvement, this should also serve as a reminder to every politician in other parts of the country especially Kwara that this is clear indication Nigerians now know how to differentiate a grass root politicians from a seasonal politicians.”
He urged the Governor elect to see this victory as an endorsement on the expectations of Ekiti people for continued dedication to governance and a means for a focused purposeful leadership.
- “Acute corruption, indebtedness and nepotism” – The PDP says of Buhari’s ‘regime’ in 5 years
- Donald Trump, the African strongman in America
- NITDA to implement digital economy policy, strategy plan
- Court strikes out charges against Senator Adeleke, over exam malpractice
- Ya’u Usman Idris appointed as DG of Nigeria Nuclear Regulatory Authority
- Hadiza El-Rufai: When emotional intelligence is social distancing
- Human rights commission calls for action in addressing Almajiri children
- May 29: Buhari lists achievements over the last five years; here’s the full account
- Just In: Nigeria confirms 8,915 Coronavirus cases
- Buhari at United Nations high-level meeting advocates for debt cancellation