Estimated Reading Time: <1
Members of the Federal Executive Council (FEC), Wednesday dedicated its meeting to paying tribute to late Prof. Dora Akunyili who passed having battled with Ovarian Cancer in an Indian Hospital.
The former Minister of Information and ex-DG National Food and Drug Administrative Control (NAFDAC), was honored by her colleagues as they took turns to eulogize the late Akuyili for what she stood for while alive.
President Goodluck Jonathan presided over the meeting that was devoted to tribute for the former Information minister.
In her on tribute, Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister for the Economy, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said the demise of Akunyili was a sad time for the country, describing her as a woman of strength and conviction who fought hard to ensure drug counterfeiting became a thing of the past.
“NAFDAC was consistently voted as the best agency of govt during her time. A committed mother and devoted wife. An excellent Nigerian woman whom many looked up to” the minister said.
On his part, Minister of Mine and Steel, Sanni Sada said Akunyili’s demise was a great loss, adding that she was a patriot.
He noted that even at the expense of her life, Akunyili did not look back at what she believed in, saying she lived for Nigerians and an extremely intelligent person.
Minister of Power, Chinedu Nebo said “I met her before I became VC UNN and she became a professor during my vice chancellorship. She was a woman of courage. She was courageous enough to speak up at a trying moment of our national history. A religious and prayerful woman.
“The cold hand of death has taken away a woman very hopeful in all situations. Very conversational. As a country we have lost a gem and we pray that God give us such a woman of honour and respect.”
- Zamfara government tells clerics to persuade bandits to surrender arms
- Buhari orders MDAs, others to grant access to FIRS for tax collection
- Nigerian Railway launches N900 Million e-ticketing platform
- Blasphemy: Court acquits teenage boy sentenced to jail in Kano
- NIN is now compulsory for JAMB registration – Minister
- Nigeria’s education sector needs an enabling environment to thrive
- FG reappoints Usman as NPA Managing Director, names board for TCN
- Kano Governor Ganduje says Coronavirus test will be mandatory for anyone wishing to enter Kano State
- N6 million debt: Kaduna distribution board cuts off Electricity at the home of late Shehu Shagari
- Restructuring is not enough; we must change the constitution says Goodluck Jonathan