Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar, says President Goodluck Jonathan has approved a self-accounting status for the police.
At a press briefing at the Police Headquarters in Abuja on Friday, the police boss said that the new finance status would help improve the services of the police to the nation.
The new financial independence status would enable the police execute its projects.
Before now, the police had operated its accounts under the Ministry of Police Affairs; a system which Mr Abubakar said was counter-productive in project executions.
“This new development will smoothen out those bottle-necks,” he said.
He, however, noted that even with the new self-accounting status in place, the Police Affairs Ministry would still be responsible for formulation of policies affecting the force.
Mr Abubakar enjoined police officers, who would be handling finances under the new status, to be disciplined, as officers found wanting will be made to face the law.
“Let me warn too, that those in position to handle finances show great professionalism in doing so, as anyone found wanting would be made to face the full wrath of the law,” the police boss warned.
Recently, a report by Cleen Foundation in collaboration with McArthur Foundation, says the Nigeria Police Force is one of the most financially corrupt government agencies in Nigeria.
With the self-accounting status granted, the integrity of the force will in no doubt be put to test in the coming years.
- Breaking: Edo state govt reviews 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state
- US Govt wants the prosecution of all those involved in killings of #EndSARS protesters
- “We have received information alleging crimes” – ICC on #EndSARS protests in Nigeria
- We give you 24 hours to return the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos OR…… – Lagos ruling house declares
- Breaking: Finally, Buhari to address Nigerians after #LekkiMassacre and #EndSARS
- The Nigerian army says videos of Lekki tollgate shooting are photoshopped and fake
- NSA says Buhari is to provide a solution to nationwide crisis
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Just In: Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes