Estimated Reading Time: <1
Super Eagles and Lazio midfielder, Ogenyi Onazi has cried out that he is not a match fixer and will never accede to any plan to bring the game of football to disrepute.
“My attention has been drawn to a publication relating to issues about match fixing. My attention has been drawn to a publication relating to issues about match fixing.” Onazi wrote in a series of tweets reacting to allegation that a potential match-fixer, Henry Chukwuma Okoroji contacted him to fix some of Nigeria’s matches at the forthcoming World Cup.
He continued “A certain Mr Okoroji was mentioned in the publication. My previous contact with Mr Okoroji was based on the fact that we are both Nigerians. As a matter of fact, I am surprised to learn that Mr Okoroji is a FIFA licensed agent. “
Agent Henry Chukwuma Okoroji was caught telling an undercover reporter that he could fix games and organise certain outcomes during the tournament in Brazil this month.
Speaking from a hotel room in Milan, the businessman and his associate – only known as Joe – told the reporter a list of prices he would have to pay for different outcomes, including a a red card.
He said a yellow card would set them back 50,000 euros (£40,660) and a penalty 100,000 euros (£81,370).
In an attempt to enhance their credibility, the pair also invited Lazio and Nigerian footballer Ogenyi Onazi to the meeting, however there is no suggestion he was involved in any fixing plot.
- Sokoto to construct flyovers with N10.2 billion
- Nigeria’s Vice President wants probe allegation he received N4bn from Ibrahim Magu
- A total of N281 billion has so far been released to the NDDC since 2016 – here’s why the senate declared open an investigation
- Attorney General, member Nasarawa state task force test positive for COVID-19
- Nigeria begin evacuation of another batch of citizens stranded in Europe
- Opinion: Violence in Nigeria has taken diverse forms in recent times
- Wike of Rivers State has advised residents to be wary of air travellers from Abuja and Lagos – states with high coronavirus cases
- Oniru residents write Sanwo-olu over New Oba’s alleged use of thugs
- Just In: Nigeria develops, launches COVID-19 test kit
- The Vice President did not collect N4 Billion from Magu – Laolu Akande