Estimated Reading Time: <1
Abuja – The National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has said that the party’s membership is open to all Nigerians contrary to some media reports.
Mr Olisa Metuh, the party’s National Publicity Secretary made this known in a statement on Monday in Abuja while debunking such media reports.
According to him, the report said that the party`s National Chairman, Ahmadu Mu`azu, at a meeting with the party`s state chairmen, ordered the removal and closure of the party`s membership register.
He explained that the party’s NWC had instead directed that all membership register must remain open at the ward level.
The registers, he added, should be made completely accessible to all Nigerians in line with the provisions of the PDP constitution.
Metuh said that state chapters of the party were fully aware that Nigerians at all levels were free to join the PDP and could not in any way unjustly deny membership to anybody.
This, he said, was especially that the PDP remained the only party truly owned by the people with the platform for them to realise their full democratic credentials.
“The National Chairman, at the said meeting, directed that requests for membership cards and registers must be routed through the party structure at the states.
“After processing the requests, the cards and registers would be issued to the state chapters of the party for onward transmission to the wards where registration takes place,” Metuh said.
The party spokesman, therefore, called on all party members and the general public to disregard the said reports.
He added that the PDP would remain committed to the principle of internal democracy and the provision of level play ground for all Nigerians.
This he stressed was to enable the people to actualise their political aspirations within the ambits of the law.
- Nigerian Labour Congress rejects new fuel price
- Buhari gives marching orders for revenue drive
- Just In: Ondo Commissioner for Health, Dr Wahab Adegbenro dies
- High Court dismisses suit against Adams Oshiomhole
- Just In: Dubai police extradites ‘Hushpuppi’ & ‘Woodberry’ to the United States
- Persons with malaria and cold advised not to bother going to the airport – here’s why
- Nigeria’s continuous battle with married women and ‘state of origin’
- Just In: APC lists, Oyegun, Akpabio, Oshiomhole, Ganduje, Others, members of Edo Guber campaign council – read complete names
- OPay to shut all Nigerian operations excluding payments
- Nigerian table tennis champions qualify for 2021 Olympics