Estimated Reading Time: <1
Abuja – The National Working Committee (NWC) of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has said that the party’s membership is open to all Nigerians contrary to some media reports.
Mr Olisa Metuh, the party’s National Publicity Secretary made this known in a statement on Monday in Abuja while debunking such media reports.
According to him, the report said that the party`s National Chairman, Ahmadu Mu`azu, at a meeting with the party`s state chairmen, ordered the removal and closure of the party`s membership register.
He explained that the party’s NWC had instead directed that all membership register must remain open at the ward level.
The registers, he added, should be made completely accessible to all Nigerians in line with the provisions of the PDP constitution.
Metuh said that state chapters of the party were fully aware that Nigerians at all levels were free to join the PDP and could not in any way unjustly deny membership to anybody.
This, he said, was especially that the PDP remained the only party truly owned by the people with the platform for them to realise their full democratic credentials.
“The National Chairman, at the said meeting, directed that requests for membership cards and registers must be routed through the party structure at the states.
“After processing the requests, the cards and registers would be issued to the state chapters of the party for onward transmission to the wards where registration takes place,” Metuh said.
The party spokesman, therefore, called on all party members and the general public to disregard the said reports.
He added that the PDP would remain committed to the principle of internal democracy and the provision of level play ground for all Nigerians.
This he stressed was to enable the people to actualise their political aspirations within the ambits of the law.
- Breaking: Senator Buruji Kashamu dies of COVID-19
- “There was no prior notice of the procession” – Kaduna Police arrests those protesting killings of Southern Kaduna residents
- Northern governors condemn attacks on Southern Kaduna
- PDP NWC sets up electoral committee for Cross River State congress
- Bauchi Government defends appointment of SA on unmarried women
- Do not sack service chiefs, Governor Umahi advises Buhari
- 2023: Southern Nigeria should produce the next president says El-Rufai
- World Bank approves over $114 million for Nigerian states to fight COVID-19
- NMA reacts to reports of violence at doctors’ elections in Enugu
- COVID-19: UBER records $1.8 Billion loss