Estimated Reading Time: <1
The battle for political supremacy in the House of Representatives is set to be rekindled with the plan by 37 former members of Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, to present an impeachment motion against President Goodluck Jonathan.
The legislators, who are allegedly acting in concert with their governors who defected with them to All Progressives Congress, APC, are also following up their plans with a high profile sensitisation campaign against alleged misdeeds of the administration.
The plan to present the impeachment motion Vanguard learnt is, however, being seriously opposed by Speaker Aminu Tambuwal and some PDP loyalists in the House who have warned the 37 members that the plan could worsen their precarious position.
The impeachment notice, which has been articulated into 30 points according to sources in the camp of the legislators, is a narrative of alleged misdeeds of the administration including financial misappropriation, unaccountability, extra-budgetary spending, among others.
The legislators are also threatening to drag the President before the International Court of Justice at The Hague for genocide in the North-East and crime against humanity via a petition to be submitted to all embassies and international organisations.
The legislators have also lined up a series of high level consultations with some of the nation’s past leaders, including Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, Mohammadu Buhari, Shehu Shagari, Atiku Abubakar and Alex Ekwueme.
“The 37 of us are going to pay visits to all former presidents and vice presidents concerning the issue and to explain why we are taking this position,” one of the legislators disclosed at the weekend.
The legislators also plan a demonstration at the ECOWAS Parliament where the lawmakers will present the list of the alleged crimes of the President and the impeachment notice.
The demonstration will then move to the United States, British, Canadian and French embassies, as well as all other European Union countries.
He said: ”Since the President does not want peace and he is going for our jugular, it’s a fight to finish this time around and he stands to lose more at the end of the day.”
- MD of NDDC Says The Commission’s 2019 budget padded with over 500 fake projects
- Presidency deny reports of cancelled memo signed off by the late Abba Kyari
- Governors to meet over financial autonomy for judiciary & legislature
- Kaduna Govt extends lockdown by two weeks
- Lagos State Internal revenue service extends deadline for taxpayers
- Nigerian Airports to resume Operations – here’s what you need to know
- Nigerian children must be given all the necessary care – Gbajabiamila
- Governor Masari resumes lockdown in Katsina after Eid el-Fitr Celebration
- 28 COVID-19 testing centres now 28 across Nigeria, Katsina and Ogun get labs – NCDC
- Nigerian farmers likely to go out of business due to COVID-19 Pandemic