Estimated Reading Time: <1
Joint Information Centre
Counter Terrorism Campaign
c/o Defence Headquarters
27 March 2014
UPDATE ON COUNTER-TERRORISM CAMPAIGN:
TRAPPED TERRORISTS COME UNDER FIRE NEAR CAMEROON BORDER; MERCENARY WITH DUAL NATIONALITY NABBED
A group of terrorists attempting to escape into Cameroon through Taraba and Gumti in Adamawa State have come under heavy fire from troops on patrol of the area in the ongoing counter-terrorism campaign.
The terrorists who had been trapped as a result of ongoing offensive by troops along the borders were given out when some of them could no longer bear the hunger in their make shift camps in the forest. Those who were apprehended led troops to other hideouts where fierce fighting ensued. Seven terrorists died, while a large number of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and rifles were recovered including over seventy motorcycles. Similar encounter in Gombi also led to the death of 4 other terrorists.
Meanwhile, sustained patrols and searches by the Multi National Joint Task Force have led to the arrest of more terrorists including a heavily armed suspect who is claiming dual nationalities of Chad and Burkina-Faso. He was arrested with different caliber of arms and ammunitions along the Chad borders and is currently helping in ongoing investigation by the special forces.
Patrols are still ongoing around the Lake Chad including Kwatan, Kanwa, Kwatan Yobe and other Islands.
Director Defence Information/Coordinator
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami
- ‘Kaduna Government has no choice but to reduce the size of the public service’ – El Rufai
- DPR revokes 32 private refinery licences
- Father, son killed as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Buhari welcomes Ramadan, urges Nigerians to reject divisive voices
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t