Estimated Reading Time: <1
The 2nd edition of online writing prize, Write Right successfully took place on Sunday, 9th of March, 2014 and it has left us with so much to discuss about. The writing prize is a brainchild of popular fiction blogger, Tunde Leye and it aims to discover and nurture writing talents. Write Right has no barriers such as ‘previously published’ and is an initiative for new emerging voices on the writing scene.
Some of the judges for Write Right 2 were: Nigeria Info FM OAP, Tolu Adeleru-Balogun; Oye Akideinde Co-Founder of online portal 360Nobs; popular literary critic, Ikhide Ikheloa; and writer/jeweler, Ebun Feludu. The host of the red carpet, Tolu Adeleru-Balogun while Awazi moderated proceedings on the red carpet.
Ibadan-based writer, Ifeoluwa Watson won the N250,000 prize money with her entry titled, Wewe. Some of the other finalists were: Miracle Adebayo, Akinwale Agbaje, Ope Olubode and Jeremiah Nzere.
Upon winning the prize, the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) employed Ifeoluwa to write a radio drama series for the corporation.
An alumnus of the Write Right 1, Tomi Adesina similarly went on to make a laudable achievement by writing the Deadline TV Series which was aired on Ebony Life TV. Another alumnus, Oladimeji Ojo, self-published his thriller, Monitored after participating in the competition.
The event was lit up the premiere of Tunde Leye’s animated series, Baba Risi’s Court. The animation work was done by X-Animators. Ekene Ngige’s painting-impression of the winning entry was auctioned at the event.
Nigerian Idol runner up, Naomi Mac also performed a song which she wrote based on the winning entry, Wewe. She collaborated with Femi Leye who did some magic on the guitar.
With such events, it is reassuring that ‘literature is alive and well’ as a tweet by writer, Chuma Nwokolo who was also in attendance read.
- PHOTOS: Domestic flights resume in Nigeria’s airports
- Airborne transmission of COVID-19 cannot be ruled out says WHO
- Breaking: Ondo Assembly suspends deputy speaker
- Just In: An explosion on Oil mining lease 40 operated by NNPC has killed workers
- Doctors in Cross River State suspend strike
- Tax debt payments have been extended to August 31 – FIRS
- Kogi swears in new Chief Judge
- NewsWireNGR Journalist, Nelly Kalu, accepted into Dubawa Fact-Checking Fellowship
- NBC Code Amendment: The New Frontier in Nigeria’s War on the Economy
- Ibrahim Magu spent his second night in police custody as DSS Operatives ransacked his homes