Estimated Reading Time: <1
The founder of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD), Chief Afe Babalola, on Monday called for life imprisonment for anyone found operating an illegal university in the country.
Babalola, who made the call in Ado Ekiti when officials of the National Universities Commission (NUC) visited the institution on accreditation exercise, also called for the closure of illegal universities.
“The way illegal universities are springing up in the country is alarming, and there should be some measures to curb it.
“It is on this basis that I want to urge the NUC to impose a life imprisonment on all those who are involved in establishing illegal universities in the country.
“I am particularly worried about the irreparable damage these illegal institutions and their operators are doing to millions of students and their parents,” he said.
Babalola, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), charged the NUC to verify certificates paraded by lecturers to ensure their genuineness.
“I have discovered that many of the so-called lecturers and professors are holders of fake certificates.
“There is, therefore, a need for a law to impose severe punishment on anyone caught with fake certificates,’’ he said.
In his response, the NUC Deputy Registrar, Mr Mohammed Ndanusa, assured Nigerians of quality education.
He said the commission would follow the NUC template and arrive at a just decision.
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Do you know the hate speech bill is still alive and well at the senate?
- COVID-19: Personal assistants and aides not allowed in airport terminals, FG tells VIPs
- Presidential Panel had Ibrahim Magu of EFCC detained for 6 hours after arrest at the commissions headquarters
- Foreign students taking online lectures in the US might be deported – US Government
- “They learnt from you” – Senator Shehu Sani trolls Ibrahim Magu of EFCC after ‘arrests’
- Ize-Iyamu, the APC Candidate for Edo State is to appear in court over alleged N700m fraud
- Ganduje of Kano promises to send Rivers Governor Wike to Isolation centre until Edo Election is declared for APC
- Senator Shehu Sani asked me to bribe Judges – Witness tells court
- COVID-19: Disinfection of schools to begin July 7 – Federal Government
- 6 days after testing positive for COVID-19, Governor Akeredolu says he has recovered