Estimated Reading Time: <1
Music channel MTV Base (DStv Channel 322) is celebrating the Oscar success of Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong’o after she triumphed in the Best Supporting Actress category at the 86th annual Academy Awards.
The talented Kenyan actress, who won her Oscar for her part of Patsey in the celebrated period memoir and Best Picture winner “12 Years a Slave”, had her first professional acting role in a HIV and AIDS awareness drama, Shuga. Shot in Kenya by MTV Base and the MTV Staying Alive Foundation, Shuga starred Nyong’o in the role of Ayira, a confident and vivacious Nairobi college student who is forced to come to terms with the consequences of her reckless lifestyle.
To mark Nyong’o’s achievement as the first ever black African woman to win an Oscar, MTV Base is running news items across all its media platforms, while the Shuga TV series will be available to view on the MTV Base website.
Commented Alex Okosi, Senior Vice President & Managing Director, Viacom International Media Networks (VIMN) Africa, “As a brand that has dedicated itself to promoting and pushing African talent both in Africa and internationally, MTV Base is delighted that Lupita is enjoying such success and critical acclaim. Her win provides young Africans with an inspiring role model who shows them that anything and everything is possible.”
- NLC vows to shut down Kaduna over workers sack
- President Buhari has departed Abuja for Paris, France
- “We now have in our midst bandits” – Ikpeazu says ban on Open grazing must be enforced
- Just In: Unknown Gunmen attack @PoliceNG police divisional Headquarters in Delta State
- “Nobody has monopoly of intolerance” – Aisha Yesufu says critics of Southern Governors are on expired drugs
- Statement on center for clinical care and clinical research
- “Perfect birthday gift for my daughter” – Super Eagles player, Wilfred Ndidi celebrates FA Cup title win
- SERAP Claims N4.1 billion budgeted for the National Assembly is missing
- INTERVIEW – Dami Duro to FEM: Analysing Davido’s 10 years of making smashing hits back to back
- Sunday Igboho threatens to disrupt the 2023 general elections in Southwest states