Estimated Reading Time: <1
Some oil marketers in Lagos are now selling petrol at N100 per litre, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
A correspondent of NAN, who monitored the situation, observed that many filling stations have had no supplies for more than a week.
Some of the marketers, who spoke to NAN on anonymity, denied claims by Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) that marketers were hoarding the product.
“The delay in the release of the first quarter import allocation was responsible for the scarcity,” a marketer said.
“We cannot hoard what we don’t have, government should avoid fire brigade approach to importation of petroleum product since we do not refine petrol in Nigeria,’’ he said
Another marketer also attributed the increase in the ex-depot price from N91.50 kobo to N95 per litre to the hike in petrol price in most filling stations.
He said that other ancillary costs had added to the cost of fuel between N100 to N105 per litre.
“ For instance, the union fees, which usually is 30 kobo, now hovers around 50 kobo, so also the transport cost,’’ said a marketer.
Investigation carried out by NAN revealed that many depots in Lagos were still expecting the product from the NNPC.
The marketers, however, claimed that they were sourcing the product through third parties and could not afford to sell at N97 per litre.
Dr Omar Ibrahim, the Acting Group General Manager (Public Affairs) in NNPC, still insisted that fuel scarcity in Lagos was artificial.
Ibrahim said the corporation would introduce new measures to halt the “artificially-induced fuel scarcity.’’
“NNPC, in conjunction with the Department of Petroleum Resources and the Petroleum Products Pricing Regulatory Agency, will commence detailed monitoring of fuel stations in Lagos and environs,’’ he said.
Ibrahim said that the monitoring would also extend to other states of the federation to check the incidence of hoarding
- Breaking: Edo state govt reviews 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state
- US Govt wants the prosecution of all those involved in killings of #EndSARS protesters
- “We have received information alleging crimes” – ICC on #EndSARS protests in Nigeria
- We give you 24 hours to return the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos OR…… – Lagos ruling house declares
- Breaking: Finally, Buhari to address Nigerians after #LekkiMassacre and #EndSARS
- The Nigerian army says videos of Lekki tollgate shooting are photoshopped and fake
- NSA says Buhari is to provide a solution to nationwide crisis
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Just In: Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison
- #EndSARS: Open Letter to VP Osinbajo; It’s time to realise the emperor has no clothes