Estimated Reading Time: <1
Despite the below-par performances of English teams in the first leg of the round-of-16 Champions League matches, Arsenal coach, Arsene Wenger believes it is too early to criticize the premier league sides.
Wenger watched his team lose 0-2 to Bayern Munich at the Emirates after one of his players was sent on an early bath in the first half.
Manchester City also lost 0-2 to Barcelona at home. Olympiakos defeated Manchester United 2-0 in Greece. Just last night, Chelsea drew 1-1 with Galatasary in Turkey therefore becoming the only English team to avoid defeat in the 1st leg fixtures of this season’s round of 16 fixtures.
Wenger believes it is still too early to draw conclusions from those results
“I think you have first to realize that all four [English] teams came out of the group stage. That means the level is there. After only one game, you cannot judge a general trend.”
There is a general tension building up in England that no Premier League team may make it to this season’s quarter-final stage of the Champions League
“Man City played with 10 men, Arsenal played with 10 men, Man City played against Barcelona, Arsenal played against Bayern Munich, who are world champions,”
“Of course you know that with 10 men it will be a difficult game. After that the other two teams are still in positions, Man United and Chelsea, where they can turn the results around.
“Let’s wait until the end of the second game before talking about a trend of strength or weakness.”
Mr. Wenger, we are waiting!
- Was Nigeria’s finance minister ignorant? or lying? – CBN Governor Emefiele says Printing money is a cardinal job of the lenders
- Helen McCrory, star of Peaky Blinders, dies aged 52
- German govt ignores Nigeria, picks Ghana to establish West African center for global health
- Cheta Nwanze: Security, civic space and the media
- DSS claims to have uncovered plans by IPOB to Bomb banks in South-East
- ‘Bandits are threatening to marry our girls’ Parents of abducted Kaduna students cry out
- Local Government workers block convoy of Nasarawa Deputy Governor
- Adaora Okoye: Unravelling myths surrounding women in leadership in Nigeria
- JUSUN sets April 19 for nationwide peaceful protest
- IGR for Nigerian states drops to a new low – NBS Report