Estimated Reading Time: <1
The United States Secretary of State, John Kerry has condemned the recent Boko Haram attacks in Nigeria leading to the deaths of hundreds.
In a statement Sunday, US Secretary of State John Kerry described the recent Boko Haram attacks in Nigeria as “unspeakable,” “horrific” and “wrong.”
The statement was tweeted by a journalist working for The Associated Press, Jon Gambrell .
John Kerry noted that the US is working with Nigeria on BokoHaram approach “while protecting civilians and ensuring respect for human rights.”
Boko Haram has been abducting Christian women in recent attacks, converts them to Islam on pain of death and then forces into “marriage” with fighters.
The group, whose name broadly translates as “Western education is sinful”, has killed thousands during a four-year insurgency against the Nigerian state, targeting the police and armed forces as well as politicians and then turning on Christians in the predominantly Muslim north of the country.
- Nigeria’s Minister of Communications, Sheikh Isa Pantami placed on Terror watch-list for alleged ties with Boko Haram Leader
- Breaking: Southeast governors announce own security outfit ‘Ebubeagu’
- #SaabGate: Joe Abah denies involvement in Alex Saab campaign
- Breaking: South-East governors meet in Imo on security
- Ramadan: Look out for crescent from Monday – Sultan
- Police rescue 15 abducted persons, 32 cows in Kaduna
- Police arrest 17 suspected cultists in Abuja
- SERAP says it is unfair to pay judges less, while Presidents and governors take home “huge salaries”
- Catholic Priest abducted in Imo
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty — Okorocha