Estimated Reading Time: <1
Ahead of the 2015 general elections, 20 Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) members in Kwara House of Assembly, including the Speaker, defected to the All Progressives Congress (APC) today.
The Speaker, Mr Rasaq Atunwa, announced the defection of the members in a letter read at the plenary.
Atunwa, who read the letter, said the defectors moved to the APC as a result of the crisis rocking the PDP.
The defectors led by principal officers of the House stood up one after the other to confirm their decision to join APC.
Three of the presumed defectors, who were absent during the session, were represented by their colleagues.
The new APC members said they had made proper consultations with elders and the electorate in their constituencies before taking the decision.
The speaker in an address said the defection was in consonance with the provision of section 109 sub- section 1 and G of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“Our decision to leave the PDP was not made without thorough evaluation and extensive consultations,’’ Atunwa said.
The two APC members in the House before Wednesday’s mass defection, Hassan Oyeleke and Tope Olayonu from Offa expressed happiness over their colleagues decision to join APC.
They described the action of their colleagues as unprecedented in the history of the legislative arm of the House.
- Yoweri Museveni sworn in for sixth term as Ugandan president
- Governor Uzodinma dissolves Imo State Executive Council
- Police officer killed as gunmen attack Akwa Ibom police stations
- Blackout as National grid suffer another system collapse
- We must build a better Nigeria – Tinubu says in Eid message
- ‘We must resist the temptation to retreat into our communities’ – President Buhari
- Agip shuts down Idu Well 11 in Bayelsa
- ‘We recovered $153 Million, 80 houses from Diezani’ – EFCC reveals
- Arson: NDLEA office in Abia have been burned
- Nollywood actor defends alleged child molester Baba Ijesha; leads protest at Panti