Estimated Reading Time: <1
A Chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Alhaji Abdullahi Bafarawa, on Sunday said that lack of party ideology was the major reason politicians were cross carpeting.
Bafarawa, a former governor of Sokoto State, made the observation in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Sokoto.
According to him, unless leaders of political parties form and maintain political ideologies on their stand, cross carpeting from one party to another will continue to exist.
He said that it was only in Nigeria that candidates worked against their parties when they failed to secure parties’ tickets to contest elections.
“We can’t reach any where if we continue to practise our democracy in this way and the reason is because parties lacked political ideologies,” he said.
He said that politicians should work out ways of adopting political ideologies for the overall political development of the country.
“Parties must have political ideologies and programmes for the electorate and for parties to have sense of direction,” he said.
Bafarawa also called on leaders of the political parties to embark on aggressive political sensitisation to promote political tolerance and understanding among their members and followers.
He said that political violence and thuggery would do a great harm to the development of democracy and free, fair and credible elections in the country.
Bafarawa said that leaders of political parties especially, those seeking elective positions, to educate their supporters not to see election as a do-or-die affair.
- Lagos govt says negotiations are ongoing with manufacturers to make COVID-19 vaccines available
- “Scammers bent on defrauding job seekers” -EFCC raise alert
- Just In: Nigeria orders immediate closure of enrollment activities at NIMC Headquarters
- Nigerian Military decimate Boko Haram camp in Borno
- Borno state Governor says south-easterners should negotiate for power rather than expect others to leave it for them
- Islamic State terrorists raid Nigeria’s military base in Marte, Borno
- ..had gone to the pharmacy to buy medicine …..How Gunmen abduct Imo State University lecturer
- Lagos Government releases work-from-home directive; Grade 14 & below to resume Feb 1
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match