Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Government of Bayelsa State has accused Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi of doctoring the facts on Soku oil wells so as to blackmail President Goodluck Jonathan.
The Government also laid accusations of using Soku to incite the Kalabaris in Riers against their Nembe Kinsmen in Bayelsa on the doorpost of Rotimi Amaechi who has recently become a member of the opposition All Progressives’ Congress (APC).
In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Daniel Iworiso-Markson, Bayelsa state Governor Seriake Dickson said the controversy on Soku had long been resolved by the Supreme Court, the National Boundary Commission (NBC) and several presidential committees.
The statement believes Amaechi was now bringing it up just to for media attention and cheap political points.
“It should be noted that while the Kalabaris of Rivers State call the area Soku, the Nembe people of Bayelsa State call it Oluasiri which is one of the councils mentioned in paragraph 5 of the the Eastern Region Local Government Law, 1955 E.R. NO 26 of 1955.
“In the light of the above, it is recommended that the production from Soku Oil Field be attributed to Bayelsa State,”
“From July 2004, the Revenue Commission officially attributed the Oluasiri (Soku) Oil well to Bayelsa State and the amount of N7,292,218,892 was subsequently released from the ESCROW account to Bayelsa State on 19th March 2007 during the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo,” the statement read.
The government revealed that the application for a refund of N17, 405, 702, 164.34 was made during the administration of President Umar Yar’Adua, on the reconciliation on Nimbe South oil field in Bayelsa State and was found by RMAFC to be true.
The statement also showed that Amaechi failed to disclose that Rivers State made a similar claim on Nda and Okwori oil wells from Bayelsa, Imo, Abia, Akwa Ibom and Delta states, and got a refund of N17.5 billion.
Content Credit: Daily Trust
- Theophilus Oladipo: Nigeria must develop a legal framework against deceptive advertisement
- Breaking: UEFA to ban Man Utd, Real Madrid, other 10 teams from UCL
- Secessionists have three to four passports to run away when trouble starts – Lai Mohammad
- Breaking: An 18-seated bus has plunged into the Owena River in Ondo State
- David Hundeyin: Isa Ali Pantami – The Inside Story of Nigeria’s Minister of Communications & Digital Economy
- Buhari is tolerating the “rubbish” some civilian president did not take – Katsina Governor
- Mr Macaroni drags police to court over Lekki Toll Gate arrest
- Kalu Nwokoro Idika: Ebubeagu Security Network, Myth Or Reality?
- SERAP seeks probe of ‘missing N106bn In 149 MDAs in 2018’
- “You’re a pathetic fellow” – Former President Jonathan says Babangida Aliyu “will always remain at the back”