Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Government of Bayelsa State has accused Rivers State Governor, Rotimi Amaechi of doctoring the facts on Soku oil wells so as to blackmail President Goodluck Jonathan.
The Government also laid accusations of using Soku to incite the Kalabaris in Riers against their Nembe Kinsmen in Bayelsa on the doorpost of Rotimi Amaechi who has recently become a member of the opposition All Progressives’ Congress (APC).
In a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Daniel Iworiso-Markson, Bayelsa state Governor Seriake Dickson said the controversy on Soku had long been resolved by the Supreme Court, the National Boundary Commission (NBC) and several presidential committees.
The statement believes Amaechi was now bringing it up just to for media attention and cheap political points.
“It should be noted that while the Kalabaris of Rivers State call the area Soku, the Nembe people of Bayelsa State call it Oluasiri which is one of the councils mentioned in paragraph 5 of the the Eastern Region Local Government Law, 1955 E.R. NO 26 of 1955.
“In the light of the above, it is recommended that the production from Soku Oil Field be attributed to Bayelsa State,”
“From July 2004, the Revenue Commission officially attributed the Oluasiri (Soku) Oil well to Bayelsa State and the amount of N7,292,218,892 was subsequently released from the ESCROW account to Bayelsa State on 19th March 2007 during the administration of President Olusegun Obasanjo,” the statement read.
The government revealed that the application for a refund of N17, 405, 702, 164.34 was made during the administration of President Umar Yar’Adua, on the reconciliation on Nimbe South oil field in Bayelsa State and was found by RMAFC to be true.
The statement also showed that Amaechi failed to disclose that Rivers State made a similar claim on Nda and Okwori oil wells from Bayelsa, Imo, Abia, Akwa Ibom and Delta states, and got a refund of N17.5 billion.
Content Credit: Daily Trust
- Ibrahim Magu, former acting EFCC Chairman accused of failing to account for 332 real estate properties recovered
- Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami justifies approval to sell five sea vessels holding crude oil and diesel
- Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana denies receiving N28m from Ibrahim Magu
- “My involvement in that political process ended after the elections of 2011” – Sambo Dasuki denies campaigning for President Buhari in 2015
- UK denies Nigerian airline landing permit to evacuate stranded citizens
- Leader of ‘One Million Boys’ shot dead in Ibadan
- Doctors in Lagos State begin warning strike on Monday
- National Theatre handed over to bankers’ committee for renovation
- LASG seals 33 hotels, bars, restaurants, others for violating reopening protocols
- Bollywood Superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai Test Positive For COVID-19