Estimated Reading Time: <1
A member of the House of Representatives and governorship aspirant of the Labour Party in Ekiti State, Opeyemi Bamidele, on Thursday raised the alarm over an alleged plot by Governor Kayode Fayemi and the All Progressives Congress in the state to frame him for attempted murder.
Bamidele accused the Ekiti State government of being desperate to link him with the “rumoured attempt” on the life of Governor Kayode Fayemi’s Special Adviser on Security, Mr. Deji Adesokan, a.k.a Jaru.
Bamidele in a statement made available to journalists by his media aide, Ahmed Salami, said the two accused persons in the matter, Afolabi Oyediran and Oluwafemi Sunday, were not the House member’s allies as claimed.
Both Oyediran and Sunday were said to have been arrested within the premises of Adesokan last year.
The statement said it was absurd and “smacked of deceit and ignorance” for the APC in Ekiti to have linked Bamidele with the two accused persons when no such information was contained in their statements to the police or in the affidavits deposed to in court.
It described as malicious the claim that the two accused persons were Bamidele’s security aides.
It said, “Nothing can be farther from the truth than this. It represents another failed and desperate attempt by Governor Fayemi and his cronies to pull Bamidele down from his towering political heights by all means. No doubt, this is a deliberate set up.
“Otherwise, this is an attempt to cover up yet another embarrassing protest by some of Jaru’s goons.
“Without mincing words, it is clear to us that the linking of the detainees to Bamidele was another smear campaign to malign his (Bamidele’s) image and a calculated ploy to discredit his personality.”
“APC and Governor Kayode Fayemi’s government desperately contrived sinister means through which they could negotiate the withdrawal of cases pending in court against Interim Chairman of the party, Mr. Jide Awe; and nine alleged killers of Bamidele’s loyalist, Mr. Foluso Ogundare,” it added.
Content Credit: PUNCH
- Just In: Court orders Kaduna prison to release El-Zakzaky’s wife, Zeenat for COVID treatment
- Police investigate Apostle Suleman for allegedly sleeping with pastor’s wife & threatening his life
- PDP justifies Wike’s N500Million donation to Sokoto State
- The Choice and the science of deploying COVID-19 vaccines in Nigeria
- APC is a dying party, we have failed Nigerians – Solomon Dalung
- PDP calls on US President Joe Biden to sanction APC leaders
- Gunmen kidnap 11 people, including children from Abuja orphanage
- Fact Check: Rivers government did not order sudden shutdown of schools
- Akeredolu’s quit notice to herdsmen is legal – Femi Falana
- Former AGF, Abdullahi Ibrahim dies of COVID-19 complications