Estimated Reading Time: <1
In a statement issued from Enugu by the Conference Publicity Secretary, Osita Okechuckwu called on the All Progressives Congress to stop forthwith further admission of People’s Democratic Party decampees.
The CNPP said it was making the call in the collective interest of Nigeria, so as to forestall the return of one party system and consequently absolute powers in post-2015 general elections.
“For we cannot forget in a hurry the granite saying of Lord Acton that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely; as evidenced by the imperial posture of the PDP-led Federal Government in the last 14 years which stifled political and economic growth,” the party said in a statement.
“The CNPP remembers with nostalgia the nationwide jubilation which heralded the registration of the APC on July 1, 2013 by the Independent National Electoral Commission; a jubilation predicated on the birth of a broad based alternative political party to the PDP.
“In sum, we had fervently prayed for Nigerian democracy to attain the zenith of liberal democracy, where two dominant political parties and compromise prevail. In other words where no political party will win 2/3 of the seats in the national or state assembles and where no party wins the presidential election with more than 53 percent of the votes cast. This is true democracy,” it added.
- COVID-19 lockdown: Over 24,000 children have not returned to school – Sanwo-Olu
- Tambuwal appoints committee to investigate Sokoto central market fire
- Anambra Governorship election to hold November 6 – INEC
- Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo flags off N5,000 cash transfer to low-income earners in urban areas
- Arewa Youth Leader says Northern Nigeria is the most backward region despite having the president
- Borno Governor asks Federal Character Commission for more employment slots
- Buhari appoints Nigeria’s first female ambassador to the United States
- Motorcycle riders are working as spies for kidnappers – Amotekun says
- Where will herdsmen graze if they leave the forest reserves? – Miiyetti Allah queries Akeredolu’s vacation order
- Kukah gets international recognition with appointment by Pope Francis