Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, Rep. Nnenna Ukeje, disclosed this on Wednesday during a live interview on NTA network news, monitored by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.
Ukeje said the 200 Nigerians were currently taking refuge at the Nigeria Embassy in Bangui and she put the official number of Nigerians living in CAR at 30,000.
She said the committee had engaged the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) to immediately provide an aircraft for their evacuation.
The legislator called for the establishment of a department in the foreign ministry to respond actively to crisis situations for Nigerians caught up in flash-points abroad.
The Central African Republic had spiralled into chaos after the rebel-leader-turned-president Michel Djotodia overthrew President Francois Bozize in March.
According to the UN, about 600 people have been killed in less than two weeks while some 210,000 people have been forced from their homes in the capital alone.
Earlier this month, the UN Security Council authorised an African-led and French-backed peacekeeping force to quell the spiralling violence.
France has deployed 1,600 troops under the UN mandate to help the African peacekeeping force to restore security in the country.
- “Discontinue the street protests” – Read Muhammadu Buhari’s speech
- Breaking: Edo state govt reviews 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state
- US Govt wants the prosecution of all those involved in killings of #EndSARS protesters
- “We have received information alleging crimes” – ICC on #EndSARS protests in Nigeria
- We give you 24 hours to return the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos OR…… – Lagos ruling house declares
- Breaking: Finally, Buhari to address Nigerians after #LekkiMassacre and #EndSARS
- The Nigerian army says videos of Lekki tollgate shooting are photoshopped and fake
- NSA says Buhari is to provide a solution to nationwide crisis
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Just In: Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison